Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who became officers?

Devils Own

I've been on this forum for a few months now and have only just noticed this section. Duh! I like it.

What were the prerequisites to becoming an officer?

Cheers

Stev

Some basic info in this page of The Long, Long trail .

Seemingly young gentlemen with some education (Public Schools or Universities) had a good chance of becoming officers if they wanted to. As the war and casualties went on, rankers with no upper-class background which were "good officer material" could eventually become officers.

Gloria

May I be permitted to suggest two books which may give a wee bit of insight with regard to the last posting? Ernest Parker 'Into Battle; a Seventeen-Year-Old Joins Kitchener's Army' and I.L.Read 'Of Those We Loved'; both memoirs available cheaply, and both provide interesting info concerning Other Ranks promoted to Officer during the course of the conflict

Here is a letter from my late Grandfather (Private in the 1st Canadian Motor Machine Gun Brigade/banker by profession) and older cousin name Alan Emery (a corporal in the BEF) and they are talking about Emery's younger brother. Given the casualties, the standards for officer material still seem to include a good reference from a "gentleman".

Source:

* Pte. Richard William Mercer - 1st Canadian Motor Machine Gun Brigade

The website publishes the personal letters sent home by an ordinary Canadian soldier from 1915 to 1919. The site makes extensive use of footnotes to explain and/or elaborate on the background and context of the comments of a young private in the Borden Motor Machine Gun Battery of the Canadian Expeditionary Force.

[Dwight Mercer/Borden Battery website courtesy of Brett Payne]

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~b...wm_letters.html

Borden Battery

------------------------------------------

France

6/4/17

My dear Auntie,

Have received you nice letter of March 1st and must apologize for not having written you before, but have had some very stressful times1 recently one way and another.

Thanks for your good wishes, wish I could meet you to thank you personally. Have heard quite a lot from home of Rich and his visit to "115" and believe he got on very well with Denis. One could not help but do so though; he is fine kid. Wonder if you have heard that he will soon be in the Army. In fact he went up to interview a C.O. on Tuesday last, but have not yet heard the result. He is trying hard for the cavalry and I hope he gets it. He has a fairly good recommendation from a local gentleman I believe. Don't think Mother thinks much of it, but what Mother could? Rich is still in England I understand. In case you did not get my letter, I will again thank you for the photo in the Xmas card you sent, they are great absolutely.

Yes, the weather in France has been very severe this winter. About a month ago I came out of hospital, after a 3 weeks stay there with measles, but am feeling myself again now, and am back with my unit. Yes I have met quite a number of Canadians and in fact I am working with two now.

What do you think of the news lately. Expect you get a sight of English papers don't you.

Am hoping to get a leave again sometime within the next 3 or 4 months, but the allotment8 is very slow. I was home in June last, and it seems like years. Have been out here nearly two years now, with only a fortnight at home on leave. Shall be very glad when it is all over, as I believe is everybody's wish.

Do you hear from Mother or Father at all. Expect a lot of letters do go astray. It is a shame, but I suppose alls fair in love and war, am only going by heresay, because I don't know much about "love". Can hear you saying "I don't think", which is a true English saying, perhaps you have not heard it expressed before. Still the world is so small, that you might have done. Now I hope you will excuse all this scribble. Wish I had more news for you, but seeing I haven't perhaps you will excuse more this time, so will close. Hoping you are all quite well and keeping cheery under the circumstances; kindly remember me to Uncle Will & Raymond, and with very best love to yourself.

I am, you loving Nephew, Alan A.J. Emery (87846)

Good information. Thanks everybody.

Steve

Large numbers of regular WOs were also commisioned in the latter part of 1914.

Would I be right in thinking that very few of the rankers would have received regular commissions and that, after the war, the officer class would have been indistinguishable from pre-war? Phil B

Not quite but almost - certainly the infantry and cavalry returned to the "norm" fairly quickly - as for the Corps, less so.