Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hythe Mark III Camera Gun Rig

MikeS000

Greetings Gentlemen -

My first post as a member of the GWF. However, I have been studying and collecting the Great war era for many years and have several relatives who participated in the conflict.

My questions have to do with an item I obtained recently. It is a bit out of my sollecting area, but I couldn't resist the opportunity. It is a Thornton-Picard made, Hythe Mark III camera gun. It appears to be a complete rig in quite good condition and I am looking forward to possibly making it operational. the set contains the camera gun, two reticles with targets on them, a long narrow "wire probe," purpose unknown and a very nice crate marked with the Thornton Picard label.

While I have found some information on it, there does not seem to be much "historical background." This item came from the Ogden, Utah (USA) region where I believe it may have been associated with the air base.

So, here go the questions...

1. It appears to be a complete rig, but are parts missing?

2. The paint on the box appears original, wondered if it matches any aircraft color scheme?

3. There is a rectangular cartouche stamped into the wooden handle "RFC 1 (over) Broad Arrow." Ideas on what the "1" indicates?

4. I know these were used by the US in the late 'teens and 1920's. Would anyone know when they were supplied to the US?

5. And finally.., was there a specific type of aircraft the camera guns were used on?

Thanks very much. I hope I haven't asked too many questions for a first post! A photo is attached, though it is not the best.

- Best Regards from Upstate New York! MikeS

post-13842-1153923369.jpg

Welcome Mike, nothing to add to your post, but just to say that my daughter lives near Sunnyside Lake, Queensbury, Upstate New York.

Croeso

Kevin

Welcome Mike, nothing to add to your post, but just to say that my daughter lives near Sunnyside Lake, Queensbury, Upstate New York.

Croeso

Kevin

Hello Kevin and thank you for the welcome. I'm looking forward to participating in the forum. Your daughter's area of the state is a very scenic region. We are to the west, about 25 miles south of Rochester and 70 miles southeast of Buffalo. Enjoying a beautiful, though quite hot summer. However, the winter will no doubt make up for it! :)

- Best Regards! Mike

Mike

Welcome to the forum.

You may have already found these pages:Thornton Pickard

Camera gun

Designed to look and handle like a Lewis machine gun. Presumably able to fit any aircraft that used a Lewis gun (Most allied two seaters + some single seaters).

I have found a reference that suggests there was a general arangement drawing published in WW1 Aero

magazine Issue 151 Feb 1996, but I cannot confirm that.

Regards

Bob

Mike

Welcome to the forum.

You may have already found these pages:Thornton Pickard

Camera gun

Designed to look and handle like a Lewis machine gun. Presumably able to fit any aircraft that used a Lewis gun (Most allied two seaters + some single seaters).

I have found a reference that suggests there was a general arangement drawing published in WW1 Aero

magazine Issue 151 Feb 1996, but I cannot confirm that.

Regards

Bob

Thanks very much Bob. I had not seen this article. It is interesting that T-P was purchased by Rochester Optical-Eastman Kodak. We live about 25 miles from Rochester and I spent a while working in their optical facility in the '70s. Not much left to the company now, perhasps T-P will rise again!! :)

In doing some research I came across this site:

http://www.worldwar1.com/dbc/ghq1arm.htm

It has some very interesting material and may be well known to the group. In the Air Service article I found references to the camera gun and also the photo below. The gun pictures is definitely British and the srial number is lower than that on the example I acquired. I believe the photo was taken at a British airfield as the article is focused on the actions of the Air Service during WW1.

- Best Regards, Mike

post-13842-1154354996.jpg