Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Battlefields Of The First World War

paullaw1155

Started reading this book a couple of weeks ago. Very impressed with its contents, a lot of information that I have not read about before. The pictures and panoramas are very good to look at although quite a few of the panoramas inscriptions are difficult to read.

Very dissapointed with the CD-Roms. these show more panoramas, the images (jpegs) are only a small file size and are not practical to view without enlarging the image which then becomes very grainy.

To view the panoramas requires a software program that enables you to stitch the images together (which is very time consuming and dificult, I gave up on it).

I would of been very upset :( if I had paid the full list price of £50:00 for the book. Luckily I got it for £28:00 :D from Amazon and think that was enough to pay.

Cheers

Paul

Paul - paid the heap (£50) still think as WW1 books go this broke the modern mould. Great production qualities and a credit to the publishers.

Paul.

Are your screen resolution settings at fault here? I've had no problems whatsoever with the images from the CDs (and view them quite clearly in large format) nor did I have to use any software programme to view them.( Then again the programme you mention might already be resident on my PC and laptop?)

Dave

You could be right, Dave. When I tried mine on my old computer, it was - frankly -rubbish. When I stuck it on a new lap top....brilliant!

Very dissapointed with the CD-Roms. these show more panoramas, the images (jpegs) are only a small file size and are not practical to view without enlarging the image which then becomes very grainy.

Not my experience at all. I find them extremely clear even after some serious zoomimg.

By the way, the new volume on the Somme is due in the shops on 23 October.

Are your screen resolution settings at fault here? I've had no problems whatsoever with the images from the CDs (and view them quite clearly in large format) nor did I have to use any software programme to view them.( Then again the programme you mention might already be resident on my PC and laptop?)

Dave

Thanks Dave,

Tried viewing with Windows (XP) picture and Fax Viewer. A lot better to view, also done some serious Zooming Andrew. :)

Thanks To all.

Cheers

Paul