Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Cpl John Drummond Johnston, 1449

Mat McLachlan

Here's a good query for the Pals. I've been asked to give some input into this soldier who is listed on the Menin Gate. Apparantly he was killed in the Messines sector and buried in the "3rd Division General Cemetery".

Does anyone have any information about this cemetery or, more specifically, the location of the CCSs used by the 3rd Australian Division in July 1917?

All advice much appreciated.

Mat

1449 Cpl John Drummond Johnston, of Quirindi (NSW), was an apprentice baker when he enlisted on the 1/12/15, aged 18 1/2 years. He had his parent's written consent to enlist, as he was under 21 years of age. His previous military experience was limited to 4 years in the Senior Cadets. He embarked from Sydney on the Benalla on the 1/5/16, arriving in Plymouth on the 2/7/16 and in France on the 21/11/16.

The first major battle he would have been involved in was the Battle of Messines, on the 7th June 1917.

He was killed on the 18th July 1917, three days after being promoted to Cpl, in front of Messines while his Battalion was garrisoning the frontline in preparation for an attack by the 11th Brigade. He was buried in the 3rd Division General Cemetery, but his grave appears to have been lost.

As he is listed as having being killed in action, it is unlikely if he ever made it to a CCS. More information on these could probably be dug out from careful reading of the Australian Official History, Vol IV.

I can't find any reference to a 3rd Division General Cemetery...

Thanks Bob. I actually have most of this information from his service record and I agree with your comment that he is unlikely to have needed a CCS. The 3rd Division General Cemetery has me stumped though.

Cheers,

Mat

• 3 years later...
Guest cartocpa
Thanks Bob. I actually have most of this information from his service record and I agree with your comment that he is unlikely to have needed a CCS. The 3rd Division General Cemetery has me stumped though.

Cheers,

Mat

Hi Mat,

please contact me if you read this FORUM because we have decover a picture of the soldier in our monument today.

Kings regards

• 3 months later...
Guest matthewcjohnston

Hi,

My Name is Matthew Johnston and Cpl John Drummond Johnston Serial Number 1449 was my great uncle. If anyone has this picture of him then I would love to see it as my Dad is continuing a discovery of our family history.

Many Thanks,

MJ

Hi Mat,

please contact me if you read this FORUM because we have decover a picture of the soldier in our monument today.

Kings regards