Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Schwaben bombers

Desmond7

The battle on the Schwaben Redoubt on July 1 1916 was memorably described as a 'Belfast riot on Mount Vesuvious' ..

Was in the shade today, drawing wee soldiers! Brits man a barricade of sandbags as German bombers close in during the afternoon counter attacks.

post-1582-1153680771.jpg

Very good, the chaos is well represented. Given the direction that that Lewis gun is pointing I would not give the three Germans much chance.

JGM

Great drawing, Desmond! :)

(Now call it a coincidence. I have been doing sketches of a British bombing team in action on the last days, none too satisfying, for the moment)

Gloria

When is that Lewis gunner going to open fire!!!!

The sound that always silences the battlefield...

*CLICK*

(believe me, I know ;))

Great use of color--especially with the explosions (really conveys the intensity and motion). Well done.

Thanks folks .. have gander. Could be anywhere ...

post-1582-1153949606.jpg

The above is very good, but surely the Germans would have been wearing helmets.

JGM :)

The above is very good, but surely the Germans would have been wearing helmets.

JGM :)

I thought so too, but my husband mentioned that earlier in the war, a number of Germans did wear caps as portrayed in the drawing. I guess it depends on when the drawing takes place.

Section from 12th R I Rifles War Diary .. why I did the soft hats! Now a bugbear with me to see hoardes of coalscuttled Germans in 1st July context!

'A' COMPANY'S ATTACK

'A' Company who were on the extreme left of the Battalion front, were in touch with the 29th

Division. They left their new Trench before zero and assembled along the Sunken Road.

At Zero they began to advance, and at once came under very heavy Artillery and machine-gun

fire. No. 4 Platoon led the attack, and were badly cut up, but what men remained entered the

German front line.

They were closely followed by No. 3 who at once reinforced them. The wire was well cut here

but there were two machine-guns on each side of the gap and three or four in the Salient, as well

as a German bombing party.

Lieut. McCluggage at once collected his men and tried to rush on to the German second line

but was killed in the attempt. The Germans in the front line it was noticed all wore caps while

those in the second line wore helmets.

The German second line was full of men and there was a very considerable number at the back

of the large mound on the left. All these men fired at Nos. 1 and 2 Platoons while they were

advancing and threw bombs at Nos. 3 & 4 while in the German front line.

The men of Nos. 3 & 4 Platoons bombed three Dugouts and shot a good many Germans. All

these four Platoons suffered very heavily from exceedingly intense Machine-gun fire. An order to

retire was passed along, and as there were no supports on the spot 'A' Company did so.

Lieut. T. G. Haughton had been wounded in the leg soon after leaving our front line but led his

Platoon on. He was wounded a second time during the retirement and killed.

The Company then retired to the SUNKEN ROAD when 2/Lieut Dickson, who was the only

officer left assembled the men there and ordered another advance.

The men advanced again but were met with a terrific fire from all the Machine-guns in the

Salient (Q.17.B.) and had to ultimately retire to the New Trench.

Rfmn. McMullen, being the only man left of his team of Lewis Gunners, entered the German

line with Lewis Gun and two magazines and fired from his shoulder at the Germans in the

second. line. He retired with the company and brought the Gun with him.

All companies had now been badly cut up, and had very few men left. We were ordered to attack

again at 10-12 a.m. with what men we could collect.

Major C.G. Cole-Hamilton D.S.O. took command of the front line, collected all the men he

could find (about 100) and assembled them in the New Trench and prepared to launch the attack.

Sergt. McFall and Sergt. A Smith of 'D' Company and L.Cpl. W Harvey of 'C' Coy. were

conspicuous for their coolness and skill under a very heavy fire in helping Major C.G.

Cole-Hamilton D.S.O. to form up the men and carry out the attack.

The attack was made under very heavy shrapnel fire from the time of the assembly and was

finally stopped by Machine-gun fire.

When in advance of the Sunken Road, the same three N.C.O.s did magnificent work in

steadying the men, while L.Cpl. Harvey brought a wounded man in on his back.

About 11 a.m. another attack was ordered for 12-30 p.m. in conjunction with the 29th Division.

Every available man was collected and assembled in the New Trench.

The total number this time was 46.

The men went forward before 12-30 p.m., and were lying in cover by 12-30 p.m. Major C.G.

Cole-Hamilton D.S.O. , finding that 29th Division did not launch an attack at 12-30 p.m. and not

having a sufficient number of men to carry out an attack, sent a message to the Commanding

Officer to this effect.

The Commanding Officer ordered the men to be brought back and the front line to be

re-organised and held. Sergt. McFall, Sergt. A. Smith and L.Cpl. W Harvey again did splendid

work in getting the men back and re-organised under very adverse conditions.

By 2 p.m. all the men were back and sentries were posted all along the line. This state of affairs

continued until the few men who were left in the line were relieved by the York and Lancs at

6-30 p.m.

G Bull

Lieut. Col.

Commanding

12th (S) Bn Royal Irish Rifles.

Field

8th July 1916

The sound that always silences the battlefield...

*CLICK*

(believe me, I know ;))

yeah...ok! :blink:

Dave :ph34r: