Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal Index Cards

Terry

Does anyone have enough experience dealing with MIC's to give an opinion on cards to members of the corps - RA, RE, RAMC,etc.?

All of the groups in my 1914 Star collection have been to infantry or cavalry units, but recently I have added several groups to the corps. The one group which already had a MIC with it was a trio to the RAMC, and it listed the individual's actual unit (ie.14 General Hospital).

Do corps MIC's usually specify the recipient's indivual unit, battery,etc.?

In my experience it's a rare as hen's teeth for a unit to be mentioned in any of the big corps. And that goes not only for the MIC but the medal rolls too.

Guest Ian Bowbrick

In my experience, MICs concerning 1914 stars to the ASC and the RHA/RFA & RGA list the Company or Bde, same goes for the medal rolls.

However this is not duplicated for 1914/15 Stars, BWM/Victory medal rolls.

Ian

Slightly aside from this, I've heard that they're working on putting MIC's on the internet as an on-line resource. Anyone got any idea how near to completion this is?

Dave.

Dave,

I had not heard anything about that, but I would certainly be happy if they did. Hopefully, they would make it a bit more user friendly than the London Gazette site, which took a bit of getting used to.

Cheers,

Terry

Slightly aside from this, I've heard that they're working on putting MIC's on the internet as an on-line resource. Anyone got any idea how near to completion this is?

Dave - digitalised medal index cards for surnames "A" are reputedly going on-line on November 11th. I'm not aware of any release schedule for the remainder of the alphabet. The cost to download a card for printing etc is apparently going to be £3.

Going to be interesting to see how well this works in terms of "searchability", but more especially it's going to be interesting to see how NA explain what the cards actually are and how they "work". Regulars at NA will have lost count of the number of times they have heard staff at the help desk tell punters that there are medal rolls, but they arent worth the bother of ordering because they tell you nothing that the card doesnt ! - they come in confused and leave just slightly the wiser.

I think it's maybe little more than a "lets make some easy money" exercise and would much rather have seen the money spent on something really worthwhile - like sorting the WO363 / 364 service records into the right alphabetical order before they filmed them.

regards - Tom

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Tom,

I agree with you on your last point! The number of missorts is terrible!

The initial task must of been 'mamouth' but..........

Ian

The MIC for Dr.Hill, an IMS officer whose 14 Star trio I have obtained, lists his unit as 111 Indian Field Ambulance, (Lahore Division) and confirms his clasp.

Or how about spending a bit of taxpayers money on a very simple 'convert the code on the MIC into the volume of WO329 you need' computer programme. eg tap in LC/101 B135 page 13707 and get WO329/1829.

This would be a pretty straightforward thing to programme and would cut out a step that I believe confuses many people (as well as taking a bit of time that is usually precious on a PRO trip).

digitalised medal index cards for surnames "A" are reputedly going on-line on November 11th. I'm not aware of any release schedule for the remainder of the alphabet. The cost to download a card for printing etc is apparently going to be £3.

November 11th 2003 I hope :P

Conor

Personally I welcome the opportunity to do my own research on the net, rather than pay someone to do it for me because of my geographic location.

Likewise the London Gazette and 1901 Census on line are not perfect but are better than nothing by far.

I am not willing to criticise the quality of the MIC's on line until I have had a chance to use them and see for myself.

For your average researcher looking for Grandad, this is by far and away the most used resource and being able to check his MIC before a trip to the NA is a definite bonus.

You only have to see the number of requests on this forum for MIC details to appreciate there is a need.

When I look back only 15 years, the increase in information and availability of WW1 material is amazing.

It wasn’t that long ago the MIC and associated rolls were about all we had. I am quite willing to be proven wrong, but ever the optimist, :rolleyes: I am going to wait and see.

John.

Conor - yes, "A" = Nov 11th this year.

Ian - missorts - yes, quite staggering how many you come across, and fascinating (in a perverse way !) the number if missfiles that there are on the missort films themselves. I'm afraid I cant quite get my head round this, - filing isnt rocket science, its a basic admin function which is surely one of the first disciplines that anybody going into office work ever learns - and then their work is surely supervised, so someone in authority can check that things are going right --------------------- bla bla bla - rant rave stamp feet etc etc etc ! ------- and I just "know for a fact" that some miserable little retard was gossiping about last night's documentary (Corporation Street or whatever its called) when they filed my grandfather's papers in the John Smiths', or wherever it was they put them :angry:

John - yes, we have to wait and see how it works before judgement can be passed (and other points noted). Just one thing though - not a blanket "rule" by any means - Adam Smith and "Division of Labour" - Smith was largely correct, as any NA staff member who has just done a shift on the help desk will (not so) happily tell you. Regards - Tom.

• 5 weeks later...

Having recently received about half a dozen MIC's to corps units, in each case the sub-unit was indeed listed. The RE listed the field company; the artillery MIC's named the particular battery; the medical corps cards listed the hospital or field ambulance,etc. The only one which made no sense to me was one which I have mentioned before - a RGA gunner attached to 7 General Hospital.

• 1 month later...
So was a searchable index for Names beginning 'A' released as planned?

If so where can it be found?

Tony

Tony - not yet. As of today (30/12/03) front desk advice is "we know nothing", and back-door no names, no packdrill advice is A to E "should" be released January 2004. Regards - Tom