Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unusual Request

Sarge53rd

Hello -

First, let me congratulate you on this EXCELLENT web site; I stumbled across it by accident and it is first rate!

I have an unusual reuest, prompted by the fact that I'm clutching at straws right now. I was born and raised in England, but now live in the USA. I have done a fair bit of research on my grandfather from the Great War (KOYLI - more about that in future posts) but now need some help with a current research project.

This request is unusual because it is in connection with an American soldier; but American records are abysmal for the most part and I was wondering if anyone here with this vast amount of knowledge and experience might be able to help me know how to get started.

I was recently given, for my collection, a WWI US 3rd Infantry Division helmet, identified to a soldier in the 3rd ID and with the insignia still present. I would like to research the soldier's history, both to display with the item but also to present to his family, along with a brief history of the 3rd ID which I already have. I am getting nowhere fast!

I have talked to various people who advised me that researching a US WWI soldier is extremely difficult, so I was wondering if anyone here might have ever done anything similar or could point me in the right direction to at least get me started.

Help!!

Again, thanks for this invaluable resource. I plan on visiting here for some time to come.

Thank you, and kind regards,

Paul Jerram

Sarge53rd@aol.com

You are right about national recoreds from National Military Records center St. Louis. it can take them a year to tell you the records burned in 1970. Awful office. If you know his state you may be in luck, try the Kentucky or whereever Adjutant General Office. Ours responds in a day. Many are on line but will mail or fax records, you will likely find a phone # too.

Thanks for the info. Paul. I'll give it a try. His home state was North Carolina. I was lucky enough to bypass the office in St. Louis because I first called a friend of mine, who is the Assistant Director of the Army Museum, here in Atlanta, and he also gave me that assessment!

I have some sketchy information about this soldier but would like to fill in some of the gaps.

Thanks again,

Paul Jerram

Sarge53rd@aol.com

Hi Paul,

Below is a link to the North Carolina Archives and it looks like they have some information on military service. I've never researched anyone from NC so I can't say what kind of Information you may find.

For a Division History try the Digital Bookshelf they have AEF Unit Histories on CD Rom for a fraction of what an original would cost.

I have the summary of Operations for the 3rd if you need anything but if you're really interested in it's service I suggest you check the full unit history.

Good luck,

Neil

North Carolina ArchivesDigital

Bookshelf

Thanks Neil -

I already tried the NC Archives and their records are restricted unless you can prove you are pursuing a valid claim for Veteran's Benefits.

I appreciate the help though!

Kind regards,

Paul

Hi again Paul,

If you have a town or city you may want to try the local American Legion or maybe VFW or library for that matter. I once got some information from the American Legion on someone I couldn't locate anything on.

Take care,

Neil

• 2 weeks later...