Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Theatre of War 2B

Terry Carter

I have downloaded an MIC for Pte Charles Misters, Royal Warwickshire Regt. No.1856. He went overseas on 26 Oct 1915 and the Theatre of War is what looks like 2B.

His grandson, for whom I am doing this bit of research for, believes he served in Mesopotamia.

Would he be correct?

Cheers

Terry

Thanks Steve and Chris

How come 2B is For disembarkations from 1 January 1916, yet the date on his MIC is 26 Oct 1915 ?

cheers

terry

Although Ive just checked what you are referring to, I dont really understand what it means as Gallipoli was evacuated between december 1915 and 8th(?) Jan 1916, making it impossible basically!

The key is to find out when his Btn first landed & hence whether he arrived as a reinforcement or went out with them. The latter seems more possible at the moment but check to be certain!

Hello

Can only see that the 9th served in Gallipoli - 13th July 1915

Ian

How come 2B is For disembarkations from 1 January 1916, yet the date on his MIC is 26 Oct 1915 ?

Although the statement re disembarkations is correct the clerks filling out the cards didn't always strictly adhere to the format shown.

My own experience is with the 25th Bn. Royal Fusiliers in East Africa, embarked 10/04/1915, disembarked 04/05/1915. Both dates have been used on the MICs as "date of entry therein" along with theatre of war as 4a or 5a (sometimes even 1 <_< ).

I would be quite happy to go with 2B = Gallipoli.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Terry,

The 9th Bn Royal Warwickshire’s were evacuated from Suvla 19/20 December 1915 after a rest was landed at Helles, being evacuated from Helles 7 January 1916. On 12 Feb 1916 moved to Mesopotamia.

So could well have entered theater on 1st Jan 1916. A look at the medal rolls may give his Battalion.

Regards Charles