Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with the references in 6th EYR War Diary

joseph

Hi,

Any help with the references in 6th EYR War Diary August to December 1915

Anafarta Sagir sheet 0/1:20,000 Gallipoli map 105.0.6.

Positions of Cannon Street, Oxford Street, Piccadilly trenches and Karacol Gap Cemetery.

Regards Charles

Hi,

Any help with the references in 6th EYR War Diary August to December 1915

Anafarta Sagir sheet 0/1:20,000 Gallipoli map 105.0.6.

Positions of Cannon Street, Oxford Street, Piccadilly trenches and Karacol Gap Cemetery.

Regards Charles

Hello--

This may not help you very much, but I do have the 1:20,000 sheet you mention.

While it does not show the trenchlines with the overprint one finds for Western front maps, it has a good deal of manuscript additions in the area in which I believe the 6th EYR operated. If it would help you, I could post it.

--Josh

Josh and H2,

Thank you so much, its astounding what people can come up with that’s just the job. Josh if you could post the map that’s mentioned in the diary I may be able to coordinate the two sets to give the positions mentioned in the war diary. If you want copies of the Diary, PM me with your Emails and I will send it.

Regards Charles

Josh and H2,

Thank you so much, its astounding what people can come up with that’s just the job. Josh if you could post the map that’s mentioned in the diary I may be able to coordinate the two sets to give the positions mentioned in the war diary. If you want copies of the Diary, PM me with your Emails and I will send it.

Regards Charles

Dear Charles,

No problem, will post pictures of the map tomorrow.

Josh

Dear Charles--

I have made the images, but I am having a great amount of difficulty getting them small enough to post and have them still be legible. If you (or anyone else out there) can tell me how to do this, I'll post them straightaway. Sorry that I'm somewhat inept technically.

--Josh

Josh,

Thanks for trying, Im not sure how to make it smaller but it has to be less than 100kb to get it on the forum.

Regards Charles

And here is a shot of the whole map that will hopefully allow you to place things.

Let me know if you need other images.

Josh

post-13234-1153875537.jpg

Joseph & Horatio,

There was not a lot of imagination in trench names and the same ones tended to be used several times.

Horatio, I think that is what we have here

There is a rough sketch map - names but no actual trench lines - in Nigel Steel's "Gallipoli" in the Battleground Europe series by Leo Cooper/Pen & Sword.

See page 154

Oxford Street is indicated as running along the southeast flank of the hill beneath Karakol Dagh and Karakol Gap and towards Jephson's Post

regards

Michael D.R.

Joseph,

Still looking here and have found Cannon Street

It ran parallel to Oxford Street, but on the northwest or seaward side of the ridge

See Sketch No.32 - The Evacuation Of Suvla, opp. page 459 in the OH

Horatio seems to have a good copy and perhaps you could ask him to post it for you

Sorry, no sign of Piccadilly

regards

Michael

Michael,

Thanks for that, my original post was reference to a man killed by shrapnel on Cannon Street, the war diary is quite detailed so now Im starting to work out the movements of each company.

Josh,

Is there any chance of a scan of the square with the letter references (116).

Regards Charles

Michael,

Thanks for that, my original post was reference to a man killed by shrapnel on Cannon Street, the war diary is quite detailed so now Im starting to work out the movements of each company.

Josh,

Regards Charles

Dear Charles--

Here is 116. The writing on the map is slightly hard to read, but I think its original owner made notes for 116 that refer to the 6th and 7th Munsters.

--Josh

post-13234-1154055740.jpg

Michael,

Josh,

Regards Charles

Dear Charles--

This scan of the 116 vicinity might be slightly better.

--Josh

post-13234-1154055928.jpg