Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

7th Batallion South Staffs

Peachy9

I have managed to trace a lot about Joseph (my great uncle) from his CWG record and the Batallion war diary, where he is mentioned as a casualty by name on Nov 23rd. Family rumour has it that his father (my great grandfather) who was a regular pre-war (absent overseas in the 1901 census) and who rejoined during the war was the Batallion or company quartermaster and met him the night before he died. (he survied the war)

I would like to find out whether this was true as I have drawn a blank from the war diary or medal rolls I can access and was wondering if there are any South Staffs gurus out there who can point me in the right direction.

Peachy

Could this be your man http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=7

"The rank of colour Serjeant was introduced into the British Army during the Napoleonic Wars to reward long-serving sergeants. By World War I it had given way to Company Sergeant Major and Company Quartermaster Sergeant, but it was later reintroduced."

Regards Doug

Doug

Many thanks - I am almost certain that is him - interesting that he has two service numbers, both from South Staffs. Any ideas on how to identify the battalion? He doesnt seem to be mentioned in 7th Bn war diary at all and as a Colour/QM sgt I would have thought he would appear somewhere.

Thanks for your help and ill keep on looking.

Peachy

• 2 years later...
I have managed to trace a lot about Joseph (my great uncle) from his CWG record and the Batallion war diary, where he is mentioned as a casualty by name on Nov 23rd. Family rumour has it that his father (my great grandfather) who was a regular pre-war (absent overseas in the 1901 census) and who rejoined during the war was the Batallion or company quartermaster and met him the night before he died. (he survied the war)

I would like to find out whether this was true as I have drawn a blank from the war diary or medal rolls I can access and was wondering if there are any South Staffs gurus out there who can point me in the right direction.

Hello there,

I am researching the 115 men with my surname who died in the Great War, I would be very grateful if you could supply me with any information you have on Joseph Leonard.

Kindest regards,

Stephen.