Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New Color Study

Russell Smith

Here is the next step in the Jasta 15 piece which I posted the drawings for a coouple of weeks ago. This is the completed color study. The piece will be entitled "Blue Iron" - named by the gentleman that commissioned it. the study measures 7 inches tall by 16 inches wide.

i'll be starting the big version in a couple of weeks (but first, a vacation at the beach...) B)

russ

post-11267-1153424067.jpg

If that's only the colour study... I can't wait to see it finished! :D

Superb. You feel you're there flying with them. They look low (150/200 meters over the ground): are they going to land or have just taken off?

Gloria

Thanks to you both.

To answer your question, gporta, they are on approach to their field at Balatre. you can't really make out the hangars very well in the color study, but they are the little black specks behind Berthold's lower port wing. originally I had planned to bring them in closer, but unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any good oblique aerials of that field in existance.

russ

Brillient Russ, I do love your work.

Annette

Incredible. :) And this is only the color study! Can't wait to see the finished piece.

This is the completed color study....i'll be starting the big version in a couple of weeks

When you've finished the big version let me know. I have a rubbish bin and will happily dispose of the surplus-to-requirements colour study for you. I'll even cover the postage costs. Generous of me or what? :)

Quality. It really brings out the atmosphere of the scene.

JGM

Lovely picture Russell, not come across your pics before, assuming they have been on the forum, but can say thaey are very atmospheric and what I call clean cut, nice defined lines, sharp, if that makes sense.

well done

Arm

Amazing- I actually thought the pencil sketch was unbeatable, but this is stunning- well done Russ....