Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

QAIMNS ranks

Simon R

I confess ignorance.

How did QAIMNS ranking work? What are you if you're an OR? A sister? What about an officer?

I know they started wearing badges of rank in 1941, presumably they also adopting a military ranking system at the same time. Or is that just knickers?

Simon

I think you win the prize for the least views of any thread for quite a while :lol:

The history of rank within the military nursing services is a very long one, but roughly speaking:

At the time of the formation of QAIMNS in 1902, all members were civilians, and were classed in the normal way for nurses – Staff Nurse, Sister, Matron etc., and they appear in the Army Lists of the time with that classification.

Although there was an acceptance that they had the status of both officer and 'lady', it was not until 1926 that they were given equivalent rank, which was necessary particularly for deciding on pay, lodging allowances and pension entitlement. The Matron-in-Chief was equivalent to a Colonel; Principal Matron to a Lt. Colonel; Matron to Major, and Sisters and Staff Nurses to Lieutenant. These equivalent ranks were marked by various combinations of scarlet and grey stripes and braid worn on the sleeves of uniform – and after 1941 on epaulettes/shoulders of both indoor and outdoor uniform.

Under emergency provisions, commissions were granted in 1941, but were intended to be for the duration of the war only, and at the same time the Matron-in-Chief ‘became’ a Brigadier, and Sisters with 10 years experience were given the rank of Captain. The nurses still appeared in the Army Lists at this time as ‘Sister,’ ‘Staff Nurse’ etc.

Full commissions were only granted when the service became a Corps of the British Army in February 1949. The Army List of April 1950 is the first one that lists nurses as something different, including the very quaint terminology of ‘Senior Commander,’ ‘Junior Commander’ and ‘Subaltern,’ but by August 1950 they are appearing with normal army officer rank.

Until 1950 the Service/Corps was one composed entirely of trained nurses with officer status, and it was in July 1950 that the first non-commissioned ranks were introduced into the Corps. The time limits for each climb up the commissioned ranks was reduced, and during my time the entry level was as Lieutenant, with four years to Captain [but with previous nursing experience outside the Army taken into account] and eight years to Major, but that only alongside a regular commission, not short service.

Maybe someone else can add the current details of rank, particularly among the ORs - my brain gives up after 1949 :blink:

Sue

That's great Sue, just what I was after. :)

I ask because of the recent acquisition of a WWII named, badged (ranked) and numbered QAIMNS uniform - doing some background to get the context. I assume the same closure times for QAIMNS files at NA as Army etc, if they survive.

I'll have a look at scarletfinders.

I was tempted to ask if it fits, but wouldn't be so vulgar :rolleyes:

The files of women who joined the regular service after the Great War, regardless of whether they went on to serve in WW2 will be with the MOD.

Files of all the women who joined the QAIMNS Reserve for WW2 service should be at MOD

A few files of women who served with the regular service in the Great War, and were still serving at the beginning of WW2 but retired shortly after, are still at the NA.

That does leave a group of women who were the younger members of QAIMNS Reserve during WW1, and were demobilised in 1919-20. Some of these rejoined the Reserve in 1939-40, but there are a few cases where the original WW1 files were not linked, and are still at the NA, with second files at MOD. It's worth a check of the online Catalogue [WO399] just on the [slightly unlikely] offchance that she might be there.

Because trained nurses were likely to be over 25 on joining the service, not that many members of QAIMNS served in both wars.

However, it should be fairly straightforward to trace your nurse through the registers of the General Nursing Council, which will at least give you details of her training hospital, with dates, and some form of home address for the year of entry in the register.

Sue

I shall probe deeper, thanks Sue.

And I'll let you know how I get on.

If she was in before 1944 I can probably give you her training detail. I have some GNC Registers at home. Give me a name and I'll look.

Norman

Have sent you a pm - not actually sure if she is still with us or not.

The modern army and RAF have a normal OR rank structure, and very highly qualified some of the Cpls and Sergeants are, too. An excellent and professional bunch.

Anecdote:

Grumpy in walking team on 40KM JHQ annual march c. 1990, starts to get cramp. Stops at RAMC first aid tent at about 20KM. 'Cpl, do you have salt tablets, please?'

'No sir, sorry, not in the packup!' [Thinks] [brightly]. 'But we do have crisps, salt crisps, lots of them!' Whereby all team suddenly develop agonising cramp. Crisps duly issued.

Some time later, Grumpy and team limp over finish, and there is RAMC tent, having closed as last walker went through some time back. And there is the corporal, who plainly recognised his ancient Grumpy patient.

'Corporal, those crisps ..... I was in two minds over them. They were to be rubbed in the legs, were they not?'

Corporal's face a study, then joins in laughter .

Lovely fellows, RAMC.