Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

FOUND MEDAL - MYSTERY

Saints & Sinners

During some recent work in my garden I dug up along with numerous coins a BWM (Disc only) to the following:

12687DA J.R. SHEADER 2 HD RNR

It's in fairly good condition apart from a couple of edge knocks on the bottom edge.

I've checked CWGC and have come across 5667Da G W SHEADER 2 HD RNR could they be related? if so whats a BWM being dug up in Cheshire if they are from the North East? Any Ideas or assistance on my medal anybody. Thanks Bob

There are only 49 male SHEADER on the 1901 Census,a John R.[9] from Scarboro'{whose Father was a Fisherman} & a James [25] also a Fisherman of Scarboro' The name appears to be Yorkshire based,perhaps he moved after T'War!!

There are two John SHEADERs from South Shields, as was G W SHEADER.

Kath

hi Kath, Harry,

Thanks for the links and info, I think it will be a uphill job but will give it a go. thanks Bob

There are two John SHEADERs from South Shields, as was G W SHEADER.

Kath

I was working on the premise that Fishermen {Trawlermen}were most likely to be RNR men,a lot of the Scarboro' Sheaders were Fishermen/Fishing Families.[13 of them]

During some recent work in my garden I dug up along with numerous coins a BWM (Disc only) to the following:

126870DA J.R. SHEADER 2 HD RNR

I've got from the 1901 census:

Name: John R Sheader

Estimated birth year: abt 1892

Relation: Son

Where born: Scarborough, Yorkshire, England

Civil parish: Scarborough

Ecclesiastical parish: St Thomas

Town: Scarborough

County/Island: Yorkshire

Source information: RG13/4532

Registration district: Scarborough

Sub-registration district: Scarborough

ED, institution, or vessel: 17

Folio: 43

Page: 31 (click to see others on page)

Household schedule number: 195

Amy C Sheader abt 1897 Scarborough, Yorkshire, England Daughter Scarborough Yorkshire

John R Sheader abt 1892 Scarborough, Yorkshire, England Son Scarborough Yorkshire

Lucy E Sheader abt 1882 Scarborough, Yorkshire, England Daughter Scarborough Yorkshire

Michael Sheader abt 1894 Scarborough, Yorkshire, England Son Scarborough Yorkshire

Nicholas G Sheader abt 1862 Scarborough, Yorkshire, England Head Scarborough Yorkshire

Rebecca Sheader abt 1889 Scarborough, Yorkshire, England Daughter Scarborough Yorkshire

Richard L Sheader abt 1887 Scarborough, Yorkshire, England Son Scarborough Yorkshire

Sarah A Sheader abt 1863 Scarborough, Yorkshire, England Wife Scarborough Yorkshire

Thomas C Sheader abt 1900 Scarborough, Yorkshire, England Son Scarborough Yorkshire

Nicholas and Richard were fishermen and they all lived in 3, Bethel Place.

Only one family in England appears on the 1901 census, so it's got to be your man.

Gordon

It is he most likely,as I stated above,however not all second names/initials were always entered on Census forms & there are other J/John Sheader listed.

But certainly worth an each way punt!

You could of course consult the electoral rolls for your address from the end of the war onwards to match up a time period with any suitable names and perhaps go from there?

Gordon, Superb matey, thanks to Harry & Snowdrop, My address was built at the end of the war, it was farmland but I'll consult maps to check Farms and walkways that might cross close. Thanks all.

Bob

I've got from the 1901 census:

Name: John R Sheader

Estimated birth year: abt 1892

Relation: Son

Where born: Scarborough, Yorkshire, England

Civil parish: Scarborough

Ecclesiastical parish: St Thomas

Town: Scarborough

County/Island: Yorkshire

Source information: RG13/4532

Registration district: Scarborough

Sub-registration district: Scarborough

ED, institution, or vessel: 17

Folio: 43

Page: 31 (click to see others on page)

Household schedule number: 195

Amy C Sheader abt 1897 Scarborough, Yorkshire, England Daughter Scarborough Yorkshire

John R Sheader abt 1892 Scarborough, Yorkshire, England Son Scarborough Yorkshire

Lucy E Sheader abt 1882 Scarborough, Yorkshire, England Daughter Scarborough Yorkshire

Michael Sheader abt 1894 Scarborough, Yorkshire, England Son Scarborough Yorkshire

Nicholas G Sheader abt 1862 Scarborough, Yorkshire, England Head Scarborough Yorkshire

Rebecca Sheader abt 1889 Scarborough, Yorkshire, England Daughter Scarborough Yorkshire

Richard L Sheader abt 1887 Scarborough, Yorkshire, England Son Scarborough Yorkshire

Sarah A Sheader abt 1863 Scarborough, Yorkshire, England Wife Scarborough Yorkshire

Thomas C Sheader abt 1900 Scarborough, Yorkshire, England Son Scarborough Yorkshire

Nicholas and Richard were fishermen and they all lived in 3, Bethel Place.

Only one family in England appears on the 1901 census, so it's got to be your man.

Gordon

I heard about medals getting buried in gardens before. Was this really common? Is it worth renting out a metal detector next week and going round the neighbourhood ?

Max

Well worth a try!

Over the years Ive read,heard of various examples of this,sometimes apparently as a precaution against theft during the Blitz,Children playing with them in the Garden{A friend remembers his workmate from the East End stating that his "Bin~Lids" had "posted all his WW2 Medals through the gap in the Floorboards,he thought so much of them they are still there},or as a tribute to a Family member,who had passed away[or by "Tea~Leaves" who buried their stash & then got hauled off for some rock~breaking @ His Majesties,

So gardens {& the local 1920s Tip},may be good places to search.

Beep beep beep

Beep beep beep indeed then !! Thanks Harry.

I might just do that (anyone else?)

My house is 100 years old and during WW1 was owned by Major Andrew Boswell of the Royal Engineers who served in WW1. The whole neighbourhood is quite old - I am thinking that at the weekend this could be quite a fun thing to do.

Hmmm.....

Right then, I've got my metal detector were coming to your place lol!!

Beep beep beep indeed then !! Thanks Harry.

I might just do that (anyone else?)

My house is 100 years old and during WW1 was owned by Major Andrew Boswell of the Royal Engineers who served in WW1. The whole neighbourhood is quite old - I am thinking that at the weekend this could be quite a fun thing to do.

Hmmm.....

The DA suffix means he entered the RNR(Trawler Section) as a Deck Hand, it also means he was a professional seaman prior to signing on. 2 HD is Second Hand which is the naval term for a Mate on a Trawler/Drifter.

The number is unusual I have never seen a six figure prefix.

Regards Charles

Charles, Your absolutely right it's a 5 figure prefix 12687 I must of had a senior moment and read the "D" as and 0. Cheers Bob

The DA suffix means he entered the RNR(Trawler Section) as a Deck Hand, it also means he was a professional seaman prior to signing on. 2 HD is Second Hand which is the naval term for a Mate on a Trawler/Drifter.

The number is unusual I have never seen a six figure prefix.

Regards Charles

Saints

I have 'planted' a Mons star trio complete with a DCM and MM in my garden. :ph34r:

When can I expect you to call to dig them up? :P

Regards

Mel

Mel, (Tongue in cheek) Give us the address and I'll pop round next week or I you leave them they might grow into a VC & GC group.

Cheers

Bob

Saints

I have 'planted' a Mons star trio complete with a DCM and MM in my garden. :ph34r:

When can I expect you to call to dig them up? :P

Regards

Mel

Mel, (Tongue in cheek) Give us the address and I'll pop round next week or I you leave them they might grow into a VC & GC group.

Cheers

Bob

My father buried my grandfathers medals when he was a child, my grandfather never forgave my grandmother for letting my dad play with them.

I have since found out he had a very hard war. And they were well earnt.

James

So when i move to my new haouse and want to build my pond all i have to do is ask for you all to come round with metal detecters?:

sounds like it might work, and would be cheaper for me too!!!!!! LOL

Mandy

The RNR medal roll in ADM 171/124 shows that 11 SHEADERs served; there were 9 in the Trawler Section, 1 in the Special Trawler Section and 1 seaman.

12687DA J.R. SHEADER earned a pair; born in Scarborough, his parents were Nicholas & Sarah, while G W SHEADER was the son of George and Grace so they weren't brothers.

Of course I only saw the copy of their records at Kew, but they seemed readable to me.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been contacted by a Jim Sheader from Scarborough whose ancestors were probably RNR in WW1 - the family are fishermen. He believes this man could be a relative of his.

He wishes to join in this thread and so I have told him how to become a member.

Watch this space.