Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Menin Gate ceremony 11/11

noe

I'm going to try to go to the Mennin gate ceremony this year if I can get the time off work as I've never been before. I'm an employee of Royal Mail and Ive been on to them to try and see if can lay a reef on behalf for the men of the post office riffles. Does anyone know who I can contact who's in charge of the ceremony, so if Royal mail do give me reef to lay, I can be included in the ceremony.

Mark

Mark

I was there last year and I am travelling from Canada again this year to Ypres to visit the Menin Gate. It is an excellant go. Email Iain McHenry, he is a member of this forum and he knows who you need to contact. Take care and maybe I'll see you there on Nov 11.

Paul

You need to contact the Last Post Association. Their excellent website is here, and it gives you all the details and contacts required if you wish to arrange wreath-laying at the Menin Gate.

I contacted the last post and they replied ;

Dear Sir,

When coming to the Menin Gate, please present yourself to one of our directors who will be present before the ceremony.

Thank you and Best regards.

Mathieu Mottrie

Last Post Association

I wondered if I could of arranged it before hand, to save confusion on the day ?

Guest Pete Wood

Hi Noe

I don't know if you have seen it, but there is a lovely roll of honour for some men (only local to Twickenham??) of the PO Rifles in the customer service area of the TW sorting office.

Noe,

You could go to the Service in St. George's Memorial Church at 9h30 and then join the Poppy Parade which starts at 10h20 and goes directly to the Menin Gate. Or if you don't wish to go to the Service just to be present at around 10h15 near St. Maartens Cathedral and then join the Poppy Parade.

Jacky

Thank you all for your felp so far. I have not seen the roll of honour at Twickenham, if ever your there 'racing teapots' a photo would be great. I didn't know about the service at St. George's Memorial Church, I'll try and get there too. I shall be taking photo's any way so I'll shall post on the forum the best ones for all to see.

Noe

Look forward to seeing them

Jacky

Must be an emotional day all round.. never been on 11/11.. but having been to the ceremony... well will be thinking of it

John