Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

R.F.C in India during WW1

medals1976

Hello members, I have recently come upon a WW1 Victory medal to a 1.A.M E.J. Beeby in the R.A.F. When I researched him I found his papers stated service in India from 21/07/16 to 17/06/19. It does not mention his squadron. Do any members have any information what squadrons served in India during this time and what their roles would have been as it seems to be an unusual theatre of war for the R.F.C / R.A.F. Any help would be much obliged.

Thank-you.

Mike.

Mike

Two RFC/RAF squadrons were based in India during the Great War: Nos 31 and 114 Sqns. Both were equipped with Henry Farman and BE 2c/2e aircraft and were mainly used in an army cooperation role.

No 31 Sqn used aerodromes at Risalpur, Bannu, Tank, Khanpur, Dera Ismail Khan, Dera Ghazi Khan and Lahore.

No 114 Sqn used aerodromes at Lahore, Quetta and Jubbulpore, with a detached flight at Aden.

I hope this helps

Gareth

Thanks Gareth for your help, are there any books available about the RFC/RAF in india during this period as there seems to be nothing available on the market?

Thanks.

Mike.

Mike

I don't think that there's much around. There's about a page in Peter Liddle's The Airman's War [iSBN 0 7137 1592 8] and some four pages in Volume VI of H A Jones' The War in the Air, but that's all I know of. I suppose that compared to operations further west, the efforts in India didn't rate much attention.

Regards

Gareth

Thanks Gareth for your help, are there any books available about the RFC/RAF in india during this period as there seems to be nothing available on the market?

Thanks.

Mike.

Try ABE books

The link is a search on - india rfc - a couple of books that refer rather to than on the subject

But hey, you really want to spend the next 5 hours doing more elaborate searches don't you :)

zoo

PS. If you're not UK there are many regional versions ABE Books

Thanks Zoo for your help, yes there certainly seems to be nothing on this subject out there, only mentions. I will check out Abe books and see whats available there, thanks again.

Mike.

• 5 months later...

Hello

The Army in India and Its Evolution, Government Printer India 1924, has 8 interesting pages on the founding of the India Air Force

Could even scan them if you can't find it.

Regards

Mart

Hi Mart, many thanks for your help, I will look into that avenue and will get back to you if I have no luck as the scans would be very much appreciated.

Thank-you.

Mike.

Hello

Just looked at the India OH WW2, the chapter on the formation of the IAF in 1933 is very interesting, the UK would not let any officers train at Cranwell, and the Indian Authorities said so what about the officers in the GW and the DFC, suddenly 2 vacancies were allotted.

Now wheres my copy of the PAF OH?

Regards

Mart

On 1 May 1918, RAF India , which came under RAF Middle East, comprised :-

52nd (Corps) Wing HQ with location given as NW Frontier, India and comprising

31 Sqn at Risalpur

114 Sqn with HQ and 2 Flts at Lahore and 1 Flt at Aden

57 Balloon Section at Aden

Aircraft Park at Risalpur, comprising HQ, ARS, Stores Section, Salvage Section and Workshop

Port Depot at Bombay

On 30 September 1918 it was given as RAF India with HQ at Simla (Lt Col JE Tennant DSO MC) with :-

52nd (Corps) Wing HQ Peshawar (Lt Col JRC Heathcote) with :-

31 Sqn (Capt O Hughes) with HQ and 2 Flts at Risalpur and 1 Flt at Khanpur

114 Sqn (Major DE Stodart DSO DFC) with HQ & 1 1/2 Flts at Quetta, 1/2 Flt at Lahore and 1 Flt at Aden

Aircraft Park (Major RS Rumbold) at Risalpur

Port Depot at Bombay

By November, the situation was essentially similar, but the Aden detachment of 114 Sqn was 1/2 Flt. It was the same in January 1919.

Both squadrons were equipped with a mixture of BE2c & BE2e, the all-steel HF F.27s had gone by mid 1918.

Hi Mick many thanks for the interesting information. I did not realise 57 Balloon were used in India. Were Kite Balloons actually used in this theatre as I have not seen any evidence at present? Would certainly be of interest.

Thanks,

Mike.

There is a book called "With the first in the field" by Cowton, Tthis deals with his flying career until about 1929 mainly in the middle east/north west frontier, his diaries were donated to the museum at Hendon.

There are several copies available on the net

best regards John

Hi

Have sent copies.

Anybody else want them before I delete them off my hard disc?

Regards

Mart

Hi

Have sent copies.

Anybody else want them before I delete them off my hard disc?

Regards

Mart

Yes please! Have sent a pm with my e-mail details.

Thanks

Steve

Archived