Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A twenty year old drawing

gporta

Well, I've been doing a bit of cleaning these days. There were a lot of fat portfolios from my Art School days and I've been sorting them. A good deal of stuff has gone to become recycled paper, but then there are a few I'm sentimental about.

Among these ones there was a grayscale photocopy of a watercolour & postercolour drawing I did some 20 years ago. The artwork intended to picture a Great War Tommy, though the whole thing is very amateur (please bear with me!). I'll see if the original pops up from a dusty box.

Gloria

197283.jpg

Hello Gloria (again)

I wouldn't say amateurish - more influenced by expressionism and perhaps Otto Dix? :P

Regards

Mel

Ps. I have Hymno del Riego stuck in my silicon chip and can't stop whistling it! B)

definetly not amateur, definetly amazing!

a fabulous painting and piece of artwork, any thoughts on keeping it up and producing more delights for us to see?

He may have missed a shave, but his puttees are OK

This chap was a credit to his regiment

I also note that his face is thin and lined; he has not had an easy war and I hope that he survived

regards

Michael D.R.

Gloria,

that is fantastic, come on do some more for us.

Mandy

Whats it meant to be?

Mick

Sorry, teasing. better than any of us could do I'm sure. Excellent, show us some more.

Mick

Was this adapted from/inspired by a photograph, or purely conceptual? Either way, very nice!

Eh! Thanks for the positive feedback... :)

one of the reasons why nowadays I only doodle ocasionally (and only in pencils) is because the majority of my former drawing teachers and employers weren't encouraging at all: it sort of burns you out :(

Mel: Oooh, but Dix is soo much better than that! :D. I recently saw an exhibition about him and was pretty awed. I like all the WW1 painters I know, from the more classical styles of Orpen or John Singer Sargent to the rather expressionistic ways of Grosz and Dix. However, it is the work of a woman, Kathe Kollwitz, which possibly strikes me the most.

Michael D.R.: I admit that when I did the drawing I wasn't aware of King's Regs. relative to shaving LOL, but the poor fellow must have been through hard days (too many days without relief?)

Augustine: No, it wasn't taken from a photograph, though of course old photographs were used to source myself for details

Mandy, Mick, Spike, Max, Steph, Kim, Landsturm... Thanks for the kind words, and, well, I assure you that if I do something else will be duly posted

Cheers,

Gloria

I recently bough a book of Otto Dix drawings and I know they aren't to everyones taste but they make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

mick

Mick, there's something unsettling about Dix's artwork... but if you think the times he lived in... well, no wonder! I think that good art tickles things beyond the eyes... otherwise is mere eye-candy.

Now, now, swimming in a sea of old paperwork I found the original :D . Sorry about the dark-brownish hues of the helmet: I obviously tried to make it look like a helmet with khaki paint... but it looks rusty! I hope other wrong details will be excused...

Now, i don't know what I had in mind when doing this, but for some reason I wanted it to be circa 1916 (no box-respirator, just the Ph helmet), and he's a territorial: he wears a "T/curvedshires" shoulder title.

Gloria

201249.jpg

Color adds a whole new life to it. The dark color of the helmet can probably be excused given the level (or lack thereof) of light. It would probably look darker brown in low light and I think you were wise to use that color.

Spike and Augustine, thanks again for the kudos... still, I feel that the poor fellow would have trouble with his sergeant major because of leaving his helmet rust :D

Kim, yes I hope to be able to upload drawings either within the MGWATs or out. The trouble is I am slow: I can't get to the pencils until I have a "picture" in my mind... however, I know that a 10% inspiration must be accompanied by a 90% of perspiration (though perspiration is currently collapsed because of the 30º Celsius indoors!)

Gloria