The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Badge/Button Collections

nfh249

I've got a reasonable collection of buttons; cap, collar & arm badges and shoulder titles for the East Riding Yeomanry and I intend to mount them for display, probably in a frame. I was wondering if any pals out there have photos of their own similar collections they'd like to share?? I'm looking for a bit of inspiration regards layout etc! ;)

Thanks,

Neil.

• 1 month later...

Well I finally got around to displaying my modest collection (well, a part of it anyway). It's a start!

Anyway, just thought I'd share it...

Regards,

Neil.

Nicely done Keith, interesting collection - did you get your bookcase from IKEA as well?

Neil,

A very nice collection, but a bit of advice never ever openly display your items in the house, and a lot of collectors who been burgled will probably agree with me.

Graham,

Cheers, Graham, I had thought about that. My study doesn't have an outside window and the house is alarmed so I thought (hoped?) it'd be OK (and none of my medals are on display).

I was more concerned about the effect of light on the paper items, even electric light. I think to be honest that the bookshelf space will be required soon anyway!

Neil.

Neil,

A very nice collection, but a bit of advice never ever openly display your items in the house, and a lot of collectors who been burgled will probably agree with me.

Graham,

Guest KevinEndon

Swap everything made of paper with photocopies and keep the originals safe and secure and out of sunlight.

If any of your visitors want to see the real documents you can always bring them out from storage. That way if they are stolen as burglar alarms are not always a deterent you will still have to originals and if the sun (god forbid) should shine on them nothing is lost.

Kevin