Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"Haig's Generals"

Justin Moretti

I found this book at Hyland's military bookstore in Melbourne, Australia (south side of Flinders Lane, west of Elizabeth St. as I recall). I wanted to buy it, but Kitchen's "German Offensives" and Terraine's "Mons: retreat to victory" beckoned more loudly and I had already spent enough that day.

(Yes, my Wordsworth edition of Mons DOES have the missing text at p114 - does anyone know one that does not?)

I intend to go back for it, but I will leave it alone and buy something I want more if people have read it and say that it sucks.

This book is edited by Ian Beckett and Steven Corvi. I have found it useful as an outline biographical history of various Army Commanders on the Western Front. However I use the word outline carefully. These are not detailed biographies.

They are also not all Haigs Generals!!

Surprised that Beckett and Sheffield and co let them get away with that one.

Arm

They are also not all Haigs Generals!!

Surprised that Beckett and Sheffield and co let them get away with that one.

Arm

As I recall that was only Smith-Dorrien but he seems to get included as being in charge of Home Command or someother post in England - a loose extension of the Western Front? Dont think there were any others?

My recollection is that SD went in as he was the only other general at Haig's level of command who was not actually placed above him (note I did not say 'senior to him', as SD was higher on the seniority list and might've got the BEF if he was still in when French had gone).

Also possibly because, although he wasn't under Haig's orders, I Corps command was the senior command prior to WW1 (regardless of French being appointed as CIC when it started).

Am going to Melbourne next weekend; will consider it again.