Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

fleet air arm museum

jamesbow

hi all,

just noticed on another thread,that the fleet air arm might have enlistment papers on royal navy ratings.thing is would my father leading stoker w. bowskill possibly be included,he joined up dec 1904. the other question is,what is the difference between sevice papers and enlistment?.last week went to chatham docks museum,brill day out,met some great people from the historical branch they gave me sme photos of my fathers ships,in return i gave them a copy of admiral de robeck speech on leaving the dardanelles,many thanks jamesbow

Hi James.It depends in what part of the Navy he served.If he served in the RNR,Royal Naval Reserve or the RND they should be able to help.If a regular in the Royal Navy then his service record should be available on line.If RNVR,Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve, but not RND the Public Record office in Kew needs to be accessed.All the best Bob.

The enlistment papers are those that are signed when a man joins up - similar to attestation. His record of service (TNA) is a formal summary of his total service. The FAA Museum holds many tens of thousands of early 20th Century enlistment papers, bound in ledgers. Drop me e-mail with his service number and I may be able to help.