Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with Medal Card/Medal Roll

trooper

Hi Folks

While hunting through the above for men of the 7th RDF I came across the following abreviations relating to how 2 men in this group left the battalion. Any idea what they mean -

1. Dis. on R.E

2. Dis on T of E.

Any help would be appreciated. Both men were with the battalion at Galipolli.

Thanks

Trooper

Dis on T.E. = discharge on Termination of Engagement{ie:Time Expired},peculiar to TF Battalions,who had the option in the early stages of the War @ least of "walking away" once their time was served.

Dis on R.E. = similar,not sure of the "R" though,could be resignation??

Thanks Harry I thought that was what it might be but given the man was serving with a Service battalion I could wasn't sure. I think regulars could also do the same in the early part of the war but were a bounty to stay on. The man in question was wounded at Galipolli and sent back to Ireland to recover and maybe when there he became time expired and thought better of going back?

The other relates to Jan 1919 and I was woundering if it had anything to do with being released early to return to employment?

Trooper

My husband ex army thinks it is .....Discharge on completion of Regular engagement and secondly Termination on discharge of engagement ....war was over and probably he didnt feel very much like re-enlistment having seen so much of war...PatsyQ

Thanks Patsy

That helps clarify the situation. It looks like both men were transferred into a Service battalion because of their previous militiary experience either as a regular or a territorial.

Trooper