Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Repatriating Prisoners

Tony Lund

I am just dealing with the story of a Holmfirth man who was taken prisoner with a bad wound to the jaw. He needed an operation when he got to Germany and another one when he was sent back to England. He died a short while later.

I am wondering if there are any figures that will give a rough idea what percentage of prisoners were repatriated during the war. The only other one I know of is also a man who died shortly after release; so these are clearly men who were considered to be no further threat to Germany.

Thanks,

Tony.

Tony

According to official statistics 7746 British and Empire POWs were exchanged and repatriated from Germany. Out of a total of about 175,000, this represents around 4.4%.

Libster

Hi Tony,The Man in the Photo is CSM A.E.Broughton DCM,16th Batt R.B. He was captured at Cambrai where he was very badly wounded,a German Officer took pity on Him as He had fought very bravely,Broughton was taken to a German Hospital in Cambrai,where the Surgeon thought He would die,whereupon He was placed in a Coffin,he survived the Night and was torecieve a total of 4 Operations whilst a POW.He was repatriated in early 1918,whereupon He took a job at the Vickers Factory at Sheffield,where he was Killed in a tragic accident before the Wars End.