Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MIC help needed for Dorsetshire Reg.

minininja

Dear members

can anyone help me understand my great grandfathers MIC as im not familiar with this type. his ref number is 155423, lance corporal Charles Skeats

two main questions are: it says cause of discharge, i dont understand/cant read the abbreviations and second was he eligable for any medals?

also under the action taken it says "inform man". of the discharge?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Colin

post-12758-1153062060.jpg

Hello I am not sure but M/unfit could be Medically Unfit or Mentally/Unfit and the fact that his address was in Aldershot .....It could be he was like an Uncle of mine who was used to get remounts for the Artillery ...where ever they had been hidden by there owners many were hidden in Savernake Forest he worked out of Tidworth....he had been sent from the front as medically unfit....but as he had just lost an eye convinced them he didnt need two eyes to find horses....

If he had been to France and came back I assume he would get his medals but if he had never been there but had joined and they found him just to old and too ill then he would I guess be discharged he may have been a L/Cpl from a previous regular army engagement in India or Elsewhere and that was the rank he held then..

Hope this helps

Patsy :( Q

Patsy

Yes youre right it does look like it says M. unfit, he was 30 in 1918 which i doubt is too old...however by all accounts he was not mentally unstable, before the war he had 4 children and on my grandma's birth certificate it states his job as a labourer roadman, so he must have be reasonably fit??

however he did die (aged 62) suddenly of a suspected heart attack so maybe he had a dickie ticker...but would this have been picked up back then?

At the moment the only way i know if he actually served in france is from his MIC, unless he is mentioned in the war diaries, which i dont have....all very interesting!!

Col

Forgot to add that he actually lived in Alderholt not Aldershot, ive double checked this through the family also there is no hillbury road in aldershot, so it looks like a mistake on the MIC!

Col

This type of Medal index card is that sometimes seen & is used for the War Badge,hence the reference to Applicant & cause of Discharge,the SWB had to be claimed.The Roll referred to AF/32079 is I expect the page his issue of SWB is recorded on.

Unless he has another Card{try searching just Skeats & Dorsetshire,as often initials only are used},that states his Medal issue,it would appear he did not serve Overseas

There is a reference to most causes of discharge on the researching Grandad's War on the Long Long Trail link @ the top left of this Forum

Thanks Harry thats very helpfull...

ive just checked the NA website for the SWB rolls and came across a page which gave info on this type of MIC..and as you quite rightly said it is for the SWB.

I am having trouble finding the Rolls of SWB on the NA site...can anyone let me know how i go about finding this information??

Also on the MIC it doesnt state the date of discharge, as the SWB was authorised in sept 1916 did they back date them??

Colin

His date of Discharge is given @ the bottom of the Card I think as 15:12:1915,@ least that was when his records were amended,The War Badge was claimable by those discharged before it's inception in 1916,& was subject to much Press coverage,in local & national papers to enable discharged personnel to Claim it.

His date of Discharge is given @ the bottom of the Card I think as 15:12:1915,@ least that was when his records were amended,The War Badge was claimable by those discharged before it's inception in 1916,& was subject to much Press coverage,in local & national papers to enable discharged personnel to Claim it.

Thanks for the information its all starting to add up...still not sure why he was discharged...hoping someone may have access to the roll of SWB or let me know how i can find out!!

Thanks again

Colin

Hi,

I have the War Badge Roll for the Dorsetshire Regt and your man does not appear on it. There is however another Skeats, namely:

11076 Pte William George SKEATS

For your information, based on his Regimental Number (15542 - note there is no 3 at the end), he would have enlisted around 1st October 1915.

Regards

Steve

Steve

Thanks for that...would there be any reason why he doesnt appear on the roll? seems a bit odd..

if charles enlisted around october he was then discharged in the december 1915, (as a lance corporal) still trying to find out what happened to him!!! A bit more digging around required!!!

ive seen william skeats on the MIC list but he is no relation...

just wondered if you have any information on Charles's brother Tom #14641 Dorsetshire Regiment, (104218 Royal Fusiliers, 417375 Labour Corps). Ive got his MIC and wondered if there's anything else on him

again thanks for your help

Colin

• 2 weeks later...

Colin,

I have just searched through the MICs Online and found that the error regarding his Regimental Number (the spurious 3 on the end) is one of transcription from the card to the searchable database.

A search of Name = ske*, and Regt = dorset*, the card you displayed is the only one that could be considered to relate to your GGF.

He is not on the 1915 Star Roll to the Dorsets (though if he transferred out he would be on the Roll of the Unit he went to). However, the card we have has him as a Dorset soldier, so I believe he attested but was found to be medically unfit and his enlistment cancelled. I stand to be corrected but think this would not have entitled him to a War Badge. Therefore the comment on the card "Inform man", implying that his request for a War Badge had been denied, explaining why he doesn't appear on the Dorset War Badge Roll.

Regards

Steve

Colin,

I have just searched through the MICs Online and found that the error regarding his Regimental Number (the spurious 3 on the end) is one of transcription from the card to the searchable database.

A search of Name = ske*, and Regt = dorset*, the card you displayed is the only one that could be considered to relate to your GGF.

He is not on the 1915 Star Roll to the Dorsets (though if he transferred out he would be on the Roll of the Unit he went to). However, the card we have has him as a Dorset soldier, so I believe he attested but was found to be medically unfit and his enlistment cancelled. I stand to be corrected but think this would not have entitled him to a War Badge. Therefore the comment on the card "Inform man", implying that his request for a War Badge had been denied, explaining why he doesn't appear on the Dorset War Badge Roll.

Regards

Steve

Steve

Thanks for looking into this for me..i think your conclusion would make sense as to why he doesnt appear on the Roll..

unfortuanlty there is nobody in my family to give any details on his involvment...

Colin