Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Class P reserve

shinglma

This is from a SWB list for RGLI - can anyone read what exactly it says. To me it say

"To Class P Reserve. WO?? 2076/??? 01?/4/18"

Anyone got any thoughts? I appreciate its almost illegible but then so is the original...

Thanks in advance.

post-627-1153061035.jpg

Gavin

Thanks for this - its a great help. I also found this post from jock Bruce where he lists the ACIs of these classes.

What I'm now wondering is if a class P discharge would also qualify a man for a SWB regardless of sickness and wounds.

Mike

What I'm now wondering is if a class P discharge would also qualify a man for a SWB regardless of sickness and wounds.

An interesting point, and one I don't know the answer to. The entry that I found on a SWB roll gives the reason for discharge as 'To Class P.A.R.' without mentioning the usual K.R. reference to wounds or sickness. However, this soldier did receive a 'Disabled and honourably discharged certificate', so presumably he was discharged because he was no longer fit, and would have qualified for a SWB anyway.

Mick,

I had a whole company of 3rd East Yorkshires discharged to Class P to get the Harvest in, it was a case of the harvest needed them more than the army at the time. They all returned to duty 2 months later.

Regards Charles

An interesting point, and one I don't know the answer to. The entry that I found on a SWB roll gives the reason for discharge as 'To Class P.A.R.' without mentioning the usual K.R. reference to wounds or sickness. However, this soldier did receive a 'Disabled and honourably discharged certificate', so presumably he was discharged because he was no longer fit, and would have qualified for a SWB anyway.

Gavin

This is my problem - the SWB list for this bloke in the RGLI says to Class P Reserve and the discharge date is July 1918. He is one of a whole batch off to Class P but as a result of sickness/wounds or because of essential skills (or a mix of both).

Mike

Mick,

I had a whole company of 3rd East Yorkshires discharged to Class P to get the Harvest in, it was a case of the harvest needed them more than the army at the time. They all returned to duty 2 months later.

Regards Charles

Charles

That's interesting - what year was that?

Mike