Remembered Today:

RNVR Casualty List 1915

wilkokcl

A copy of some service papers from the PRO has the following details:

9.8.15 Howe Battallion

2nd Brigade 6th btn.

On Casualty List 13/6/15

14.6.15 Tel. Malta No. 25839 Disembarked Hospt. Ship "Somali" 10.6.15

Is anyone able to interpret that for me? What was the "Casualty List" and is there any way of researching it further? I've never heard of this chap being injured before and wonder if there's any way of finding out more.

Mark

Dave,

Casualty List are returns to the Adjutant Generals Office for movements in and out of a battalion, all occurences affecting pay are also recorded. This is part of a return from 6th East Yorkshire Regiment.

Regards Charles

post-7039-1153058938.jpg

Mark, As an officer of Howe Battalion RND, his original RND Record Card is in the Fleet Air Arm Museum archive, together with some ledger details of his pay accounts. The Record Card is also on microfiche at TNA (but this copy contains numerous copying and filing errors). I'm not sure if the Casualty Lists have survived to get to TNA. However, his RND Record Card should contain all reports of his wounding and subsequent visits to hospitals/invaliding, etc. Howe Battalion was also known as the 6th Battalion of the RND (in 2nd (Naval) Brigade) when the RND formed in August 1914. The Bn numbering system was soon dropped. Howe Bn remained in 2nd Bde right through the Gallipoli campaign.

Thanks for the info: the Fleet Air Arm Museum website says they can do lookups but the waiting list is about 12 months. Has anyone tried this service? Any details on Hospital Ship Somali would also be very interesting.

Much appreciated, Mark.

I don't know what the current waiting time is but the FAAM curatorial staff is only two-strong and if you cannot visit in person you are, in effect, asking one of them to be your personal researcher. That, in any other context, would cost you a lot of money. So a visit tends to be quicker.

See this recent thread

in particular post no.6 - They seem to have helped this Pal in well under a year

Best of luck

Michael D.R.