Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Christmas Truce

Alan Seymour

The hour long documentary of the Christmas Truce, is being shown on the 'History Channel' on Christmas Day at 18.00hrs, then repeated again at 00.00 and 13.00hrs Boxing Day.

Alan Seymour

Guest Nicholas Hemming

Unfortunately, I missed the TV programme; was it any good?

Wishing for a bit of festive reading on this interesting topic, I bought Stanley Weintraub's 'Silent Night'. I'm half way through and so far I must say that I find the book 'disappointing'.

Can anybody suggest some other books on the subject?

NH

I personally wasn't over-struck on the 'History Channel' documentary. As for books probably one of the better books on the subject is the revised and expanded edition of 'Christmas Truce' by Malcolm Brown & Shirley Seaton, pub. by Papermac in 1994 - I recently picked up a Pan soft back edition of this book, pub. 2001, in a local remainder book shop for £5.

Alan Seymour

Nicholas,

Although not a book about the "Christmas Truce", British Battalions in France/Belgium 1914 gives some very interesting insights into what went on. Numerous mentions made of the events December 24th/25th/26th, 1914.

I paid a visit to Ploegsteert Wood on Christmas Day. Very atmospheric and not a soul about. There's a small, impromptu memorial to the Christmas Truce on the edge of a field about 50 metres east of Prowse Point CWGC. I think it was put up by Taff Gillingham and the Khaki Pals. It's been there for some time; I first noticed it in the summer of 2000. Over the last year it has 'grown' quite a lot; loads of poppies, floral crosses - and now two footballs.

Are there any plans for something more permanent?

• 4 weeks later...

as far as I know there are no plan for a new memorial where the Khaki Chums have put their cross. On top of that , a couple of weeks ago, I have been told that the cross had been pushed over (or did it just fall over?). Taff Gillingham has been informed of this so I expect to see him before too long.

Charlotte