Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ADVANCED WARNING

Guest Hill 60

Recently I posted a message about the visit by a WWI Veteran to the Milton Keynes Branch of the WFA, I got a little stick for not letting the Pals know he was attending (even though it had totally escaped my memory...shame on me!)

Well, the good news is that Arthur Halestrap is re-visiting us!

I haven't got the full details yet (I am not on the MK Branch Committee, so I don't have all the info) but we have been told the Arthur wants to come back and give us a talk.

When the Branch members are told more I will pass it on to the Pals, along with directions to the venue...I promise!!!

The entry fee is £2 per person and this goes into Branch funds, we don't normally have refershments but feel free to bring a drink along for half-time!

Arrive at 19:00hrs for a 19:30hrs kick-off and bring an extra couple of quid for the raffle :D.

Arthur will also be made an Honorary Member of the MK Branch.

There is also talk of a visit by Richard Holmes, I think in March next year; more about that when the members are told.

Thats an excellent idea, John. If a couple of people brought digital camcorders along and set tem up on tripods , the edited version of Arthur's tales would be a wonderful tape to possess.

I am sure a lot of folk will try to make the trip to MK - even though it's the backend of the back of beyond - only jesting Lee ! Thanks for the info.

I've seen Mr Halestrap on various History and UK History channel programmes and have them on video. He's an impressive speaker. If WFA were to video him I know a lot of people would buy a copy, me for one.

Aye

Malcolm

If WFA were to video him I know a lot of people would buy a copy,

Perhaps time for the WFA to put our subs to some good use and get this video job done professionally. I sense a money-spinner coming on.

John

Hi Lee,

Thanks for letting us all know. I will definately try and get upto MK for this meeting! Work is the only thing that gets in the way!

It will be nice to meet you - as well as Arthur!

Alie.

Work permitting I shall be there - Lee do the MK branch have a usual night & venue for this sort of thing? (I get a bit twitchy if I have to travel as far north as Wolverton :lol: )

Will

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Whilst not wanting to sound morbid, with the ever dwindling group of veterans, all of who are centurions, I will make every effort to see Arthur.

Here's to you and all the other veterans.

Ian

Lee,

If you fail to deliver the date and time you will be hung drawn and quartered.

as soon as you know post and i will make every effort to attend, the concrete city is but forty mins away

Arm.

Arm - Fear not, I will reveal the date (when I get it); I have read what happened to some of the senior officers of the Jacobite Army after Culloden and the hung, drawn & quartered bit sounds a bit final...and it ruins your weekend plans :D.

I am hoping to video the talk, but we are having trouble getting copies from our camcorder onto VHS tapes at the moment...damn those gremlins!

The only problem with using camcorders and tripods is going to be space. This is obviously going to be a very popular talk, and space will be at a premium.

The venue is held on the 3rd Friday of every month at Bradwell Abbey in MK.

Will - If using the A5, then come off at the A422 (Monk's Way) exit, heading towards CMK/Newport Pagnell/Bedford.

You will drive between 2 petrol stations (the one on your right is closed for refurbishment).

Take the 3rd exit at the first roundabout into ALSTON DRIVE.

Take the 1st turning on your left (just before the line of trees start).

Follow the road to the right and at the end turn left (keep to the speed limit as the Caretaker's kids/horses/dogs/cats may be in the road.

Just past the Caretaker's house, turn right into the car park and we'll be in the building there, just look for us.

If using the M1, come off at Junction 14 and at the roundabout at the top of the slip road turn right (if coming from the south) or left (if coming from the north) & head along the A509 (London Road) towards Newport Pagnell.

At the next roundabout (Tickford Roundabout) take the first exit on to the A422 (Monk's Way).

Drive along the A422 over 6 roundabouts and turn left at the 7th roundabout into ALSTON DRIVE.

If anyone has 'Auto Route' on their PCs you can get a route from your home locations. You are looking for ALSTON DRIVE, BRADWELL ABBEY, MILTON KEYNES.

For those of you who wish to round off a wonderful evening I can organise a very short walk to view the world famous Concrete Cows of Milton Keynes. This tour will be free and is suitable for all ages. Bring along your own paint and join in the local past-time of re-painting the Cows whilst the local Police are busy up at the nightclubs :lol:

I am hoping to video the talk, but we are having trouble getting copies from our camcorder onto VHS tapes at the moment...damn those gremlins!

The only problem with using camcorders and tripods is going to be space. This is obviously going to be a very popular talk, and space will be at a premium.

Itds just a thought but why not approach they uy from the Durand group who does their film and PR work, He might be willing to film the talk and then do the duplication. That way people would get a very good result and it might be possible to restrict the no of people desperate to film the event.

have a look at www.durrandgroup.org.uk

John

For those of you who wish to round off a wonderful evening I can organise a very short walk to view the world famous Concrete Cows of Milton Keynes. This tour will be free and is suitable for all ages. Bring along your own paint and join in the local past-time of re-painting the Cows whilst the local Police are busy up at the nightclubs

My God Lee what are you doing!!!!! These people are meant to be your friends. Offering tours of the concrete cows will definately get you hung drawn & quartered. :lol:

Will

We could give them painted pink trousers!!!!!!!

Lee

No worries bout the video can sort that out if needed just let me know...

Can edit and prepare the video if needed...

Cameras? format?

Email me off forum if you want..

John

My God Lee what are you doing!!!!! These people are meant to be your friends. Offering tours of the concrete cows will definately get you hung drawn & quartered. :lol:

Will - Sorry about that! I was also going to add a tour of the various parking zones in CMK as well as the Concrete Cow Tour, oh well!

Ian - Jean & I wear ours there each month, and a few people have viewed the Forum.

Arm - I have a feeling the Cows have already been painted pink, some years ago though!

John - Will contact you soon, thanks.

Sorry about that! I was also going to add a tour of the various parking zones in CMK as well as the Concrete Cow Tour, oh well!

Ah yes Lee some of Buckinghamshire's finest.........beautifully painted lines in a multitude of off white colours........wonderous pay & display machines including the classic 'solar powered if it's too dark I won't work properly' model.........the unique pricing policy where you need a maths degree to calculate which price relates to which space........& who can forget the delights of the 'lets build a multi story carpark for the theatre but why bother measuring the size of the cars that are supposed to use it '. MK don't you just love it :P

& who can forget the delights of the 'lets build a multi story carpark for the theatre but why bother measuring the size of the cars that are supposed to use it '. MK don't you just love it :P

One of my favourites that one!

But you failed to mention Midsummer Place, the shopping centre of the 21st Century...yeah, right <_<.

Don't you love the open area called The Boulevard (how original)? Doesn't the wind just fair rip through that area?

I asked the architect what was he thinking when he designed the building and he said his team wanted to bring 'cafe culture' to MK; I asked if his team had thought about bringing some hot weather first!

I'm glad I'm not in charge of public safety in that place anymore :D

Although unable to make the night,more's the pity,it is nice to hear that Mr Halestrap is still in good health.

Have a good evening all and i hope it is recorded for posterity.

Regards.

Simon.

But you failed to mention Midsummer Place, the shopping centre of the 21st Century...yeah, right <_<.

Don't you love the open area called The Boulevard (how original)? Doesn't the wind just fair rip through that area?

I asked the architect what was he thinking when he designed the building and he said his team wanted to bring 'cafe culture' to MK; I asked if his team had thought about bringing some hot weather first!

Yep that wind could do some serious damage to a pair of pink trousers. :lol:

Have I missed the date of the Mr Halestrap night or is it still to be revealed ?

Noe - Date not given yet, but I will post it as soon as I get it.

Will - And you should see what it does to my flowing locks :rolleyes:

Lee,

would you put me down as a distant attendee and place me in the queue for any photos, tapes, videos, etc

I am extremely green with envy and if I thought "she who must be obeyed" would let me, I would catch the next flight over to be there.

There are some definite advantages in living in or near MK :P

Peter ;)

Lee,

would you put me down as a distant attendee and place me in the queue for any photos, tapes, videos, etc

I am extremely green with envy and if I thought "she who must be obeyed" would let me, I would catch the next flight over to be there.

There are some definite advantages in living in or near MK

Peter - I'm sure that I could get something over to you.

Why not tell 'She who must be obeyed' that you have to go to an important meeting and you'll be away for a couple of days? :lol: