Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Comrade of the Great War

minininja

Hi all

I have been reasearching all my Great Grandfathers and have recently been given this photo of Charles Skeats (standing) and his brother Tom by my great Aunt, she says he was enrolled a comrade of the Great War on november 28th 1918 in Fordingbridge.

Can anyone let me know what this means? Also does anyone reconise the uniforms at all?

Any information would be welcomed.

Thanks, Colin

post-12758-1152951625.jpg

COmrades of the Great War ... an ex-service association, one of the forerunners toRBL of today. Go to the search button at top of your page and key in Comrades Great War/search by 'older' in any forum.

You will find a horde of information there. It's a very interesting story with all sortsof political/social undertones.

Des

Comrades of the Great War was an ex-service man's association. However 'comrades' had a revolutionary sound to it and it was later changed to the British Legion, which as you know, still thrives to this day.

Terry

Comrades of the Great War was an ex-service man's association. However 'comrades' had a revolutionary sound to it and it was later changed to the British Legion, which as you know, still thrives to this day.

Terry

Des and Terry

Thanks for the information, ill follow the links today, i thought it may have meant he didnt see service and he may have been training or something when the war ended....now i need to research him more ive looked at the MIC's and there are sevearal for charles skeats but not sure what regiment etc he was with..hopefully someone may know something from the photo.

Thanks again chaps

Colin

The Cap Badges appear to be The Dorsetshire Regiment

The Comrades of the Great War & the other of the multifarious Ex~Service Organisations {Returned Soldiers & Sailors League,etc;},that had sprung up during & after the Great War, united to become the British Legion the title Royal was not granted until much later

The Cap Badges appear to be The Dorsetshire Regiment

The Comrades of the Great War & the other of the multifarious Ex~Service Organisations {Returned Soldiers & Sailors League,etc;},that had sprung up during & after the Great War, united to become the British Legion the title Royal was not granted until much later

Harry

thanks for the tip on the cap badge..dorsetshire regiment is right for both as i learned they lived that way..also found MIC for both chaps which conforms this!!! Lance corporal Charles Skeats and Pte Tom Skeats..i will need help interpreting Charles's MIC and will post in forum on monday.

it appears Tom started in the doresetshire regiment, then it shows him going to the royal fusiliers and onto labour corps..each time with a new service number...

Thanks again

Colin

Tom started in the Dorsetshire Regiment, then it shows him going to the Royal Fusiliers and onto Labour Corps..each time with a new service number...

That would be correct,a new number was given on each posting/transfer,I expect he was eventually posted to the Labour Corps either due to his age{judging from he Photo}or due to a Physical Fitness downgrading,due to wounds or sickness,making him no longer fit for Frontline Service.