Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CORNWELL VC ANY ADVICE REGARDING THE GUN?

Soren

Hi Pal's,

Whilst having some post birthday beers this morning at my local J Wetherspoon's, I started doodling The Boy 1st class Cornwell VC's action at Jutland (as you do).

This you can tell went down really well with the soap dodging Chav's! The one thing I'd like help with is what would the gun have looked like? and was it turreted or exposed?

Many thanks for any assistance!

Soren

post-4474-1152799001.jpg

The position was partly exposed, but I've some bad news Soren - someone else has already had a go There's some good info here

http://www.scouting.milestones.btinternet.co.uk/cornwell.htm

I found out that as well as having the terrible misfortune of coming under attack at Jutland, Cornwell was then taken to Grimsby, and this is where he died. I believe that it was these two factors combined that made him such a strong candidate for the VC.

The position was partly exposed, but I've some bad news Soren - someone else has already had a go There's some good info here

http://www.scouting.milestones.btinternet.co.uk/cornwell.htm

I found out that as well as having the terrible misfortune of coming under attack at Jutland, Cornwell was then taken to Grimsby, and this is where he died. I believe that it was these two factors combined that made him such a strong candidate for the VC.

Wht's so bad about Grimsby?

Can't help with the gun, but does anyone know what relation Arthur Frederick Cornwell (as attachment) is to John Travers Cornwell. This pic comes from one side of JT's memorial in Manor Park. There is also an E.Cornwell commemorated on a screen panel there and also a road in the cemetery called Cornwell Crescent although the plot printout from the cemetery calls it Cromwell Crescent. Regards Steve

Soren. Many thanks for that. I often wondered who he was. There must be a lot of relatives of VC holders that died who don't get the same recognition as their more illustrious kin. Regards Steve

The following is lifted from the Wikipedia page for John Cornwell. Interesting to see that the gun on which he served can be seen at the Imperial War Museum - a rare opportunity for you to draw with the actual artefact in front of you Soren (and probably fewer Chavs)

"On November 16, 1916, Cornwell's mother received the Victoria Cross from King George V at Buckingham Palace. Court painter Frank Salisbury made a portrait of Cornwell, using his brother Ernest as a model, depicting him standing in his post. Boy Cornwell Memorial Fund was also established.

After that, the rest of the family was effectively forgotten. Eli Cornwell had died October 26, 1916. Arthur Cornwell was killed in action in France in August 1918. Impoverished Alice Cornwell died at Stepney at the family home on October 31, 1919 at the age of 54. Many of the other siblings emigrated to Canada. Jack Cornwell's elder half-sister, also named Alice, loaned Jack's Victoria Cross to the Imperial War Museum on November 27, 1968.

Sir Robert Baden-Powell created a Cornwell Medal. The Cornwell Decoration, struck in his honour, is awarded by Scouting organizations throughout the Commonwealth. It is awarded to youth members for fortitude in the face of severe adversity.

A Jack Cornwell Street was named in his honour in Manor Park, Newham in the Little Ilford area (London E12) and there is also a pub on that road named The Victoria Cross to commemorate his achievement of the medal. Mount Cornwell in the Kananaskis Range of the Canadian Rockies was named in his honour in 1918. A group of memorial cottages in Hornchurch bear his name. The 5.5-inch gun on which he served is still displayed in the Imperial War Museum, London."

As for the question about Grimsby - I won't be too rude, since a very helpful forum member hails from there. Like Brighton, it's on the coast, but the siilarity ends there.

Cornwell

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...casualty=355594

his brother

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...casualty=303791

His Pa

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...casualty=355593

I note the brother had a wife, so another victim, so sad, but what is his dad doing to be killed in Blighty on home defence? Or it could have been natural circumstances?

I don't recall seeing the Cornwall gun at the IWM, I'll have to go looking. The only VC gun I know they have is the Nery 13pounder.

Soren. Perhaps I can help you with the gun !!! Found this illustration in Vol 7 of Wilson & Hammertons The Great War. Regards Steve

I don't recall seeing the Cornwall gun at the IWM, I'll have to go looking.

It is there - I saw it only a month or so ago. It doesn't have the shield fitted.

Thanks for the reminder. The poem works even better with a picture of the battle scene in my head.