Jump to content
Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Lieutenant Colonel the Prince de Mahé


Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, ianjonesncl said:

 

 

The article in the South Wales Daily Post outlines that Charlie was a manager of a works in Algiers (The Cambrian details he works in the iron industry). 

The newly wedded couple left by the 1.30 train to spend the honeymoon in London, en route for Paris and Algiers, where they will reside, the bridegroom holding an important position there as manager of a works.

 

Well, at least that serves to explain why he became one of Dunsterville's Train Conducting Officers in 1914 - managing a industrial concernin Algiers presumably called for decent French (perhaps even a decent technical vocabulary?) which was exactly what was required in TCOs.  

 

Doesn't explain his (self?) ennoblement but at least explains his military utility.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, QUEX said:

Doesn't explain his (self?) ennoblement but at least explains his military utility.   

 

The ranks of the "undocumented nobility" are large.

The explanation seems clear, at least to me. Just look at all the attention he got! Would we be discussing him a 100 years later absent his promotion to "prince"?

Edited by Wexflyer
Link to post
Share on other sites
BullerTurner

Whether he was a French titled gentleman, he was undoubtedly an OBE and a MID recipient, a Lt Col of the RFA.  He also seemed to have a piggy bank full of bawbees.  His motivation to pose as a minor Prince are therefore very interesting?

 

Probably we can exclude a wealth based scam.  So what was it he felt was missing in his status despite wealth, medals and a pretty reasonable military rank??  Maybe he was a HUGE Dumas fan?

Link to post
Share on other sites
ianjonesncl
14 minutes ago, BullerTurner said:

 So what was it he felt was missing in his status despite wealth, medals and a pretty reasonable military rank??  

 

At the point in 1914 when he was he was 'gazetted' from Charlie to Prince de Mahe etc etc etc his substantive rank was Captain, no medals and wealth looks to be his wife's. The reference to a Prince de Mahe pre war may indicate he has been 'walting' for a while.

 

22 minutes ago, BullerTurner said:

 His motivation to pose as a minor Prince are therefore very interesting??

 

I think what is more interesting is what prompted the London Gazette to accept him being a minor Prince, then revoke it post war.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
BullerTurner
23 hours ago, ianjonesncl said:

I think what is more interesting is what prompted the London Gazette to accept him being a minor Prince, then revoke it post war.

 

The Gazette didn’t chose to accept that style!  They merely reported it.  The Adjutant General’s or Military Secretary’s branches are the ones who might have done a bit more homework?  In our days as young officers, you and I could have had a punt at being Duke of Ponteland and Viscount Cramlington...but I suspectMS6 would have inquired more closely?

Link to post
Share on other sites
ianjonesncl
12 hours ago, BullerTurner said:

I could have had a punt at being Duke of Ponteland and Viscount Cramlington...

 

I am favouring HH Prince de Blyth de la CowpenetCrofton.

 

I believe I am still on a reserve list, as was Charlie prior to his elevation, so wondering if I can find the right form ........ 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
BullerTurner
On 02/03/2021 at 11:18, ianjonesncl said:

I believe I am still on a reserve list, as was Charlie prior to his elevation, so wondering if I can find the right form ...


Somewhere in a filing cabinet, in the bowels of Kentigern House, is AB1234 Alterations of Appellation (Titles, French Nobility, Officers).  If you’re getting one, twos up please, marrer?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...