Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What a find(To me anyway)

nshighlander

I have just come back from a mans house who had 2 uncles KIA in WWI.

On the way out the door with a ton of info on them he handed me the wooden

crosses from there graves.I almost hit the floor.I thanked him over and over.I

have acouple of ? now.He don`t know how they got to Canada.So I`m going to ask you guys.How would they have got to CDN(or why?)?Also when did the CWWG change

from wood to stone?One was from Tyne Cot the other Lijssenthoek.Any ideas?

Cheers

Dave

The next of kin could request them free of charge from the Imperial War Graves Commission, although it was never made known widely I suspect. Quite rare to have them sent back to Canada, I suspect.

WOW! Dave, that is fantastic! I once saw a French soldier's cross at a boot sale in Belgium. Couldn't bring myself to buy it though. I feel having received them as gift is a an appropriate way to pass such relics along, your a lucky man.

So what condition are they in? Would love to see a picture if you’re amenable to that?

A bit envious,

Jon

I am sure that Forum users could get photos of the graves that replaced them for you. This would enable you to put them in a better context.

I am sure you will look after them with the reverence due to a unique part of your Country's heritage.

Dave,

Well done! I have always wanted to find an actual wooden cross, but have never come across one in 20+ years of collecting. I have however heard of them mounted in local churches, and heard the all too common stories of them 'found' in deserted French farm houses etc.

Would you mind posting a photo of the crosses if you are able?

Thanks

David

Richmond Hill

Ontario, CAN

Hi

I`ll try and post a picture of them.It may take a week.I,ve been posted to Gagetown NB until Dec 22.The crosses are in great shape both have the metal

band on them with name, date,reg,service #.I still can not believe they are still around.Something like that.

Cheers

Dave