Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Kings Depart

Dikke Bertha

Hello

I have just bought this book remaindered for 10.99 euro. It was actually first published in 1969.

Has anybody read this ?

It concerns the Versailles treaty and the German Revolution.

Dikke,

It is an excellent read, but somehow the book is hardly ever mentioned in the bibliographies of other books.

Although written by an American, it is critical of President Wilson.

Enjoy!

Fred

Thank you Fred

I had hoped it was about the consequences of the treaty in eastern Europe, Africa and the Middle East but it seems to relate only to Germany. Still I am intrigued as I have read recently that even in 1919 there were German troops in the Ukraine and in Finland.

Regards

Dikke - Paris 1919 by Barbara McMillian offered a good summary (though, nothing new) of the events surrounding the Versailles conference and the consequences in eastern Europe and the Middle East (there is less attention on Africa, although it is not ignored).

Andy

Dikke,

Check out Watt's Bitter Glory:Poland and Her Fate 1918-1939 it covers the numerous occupations and border skirmishes from 1918-1920.

It's currently in print and is a very good read.

Enjoy,

Neil

Thank you both for these references. I was just intrigued to learn that German troops were stationed in the Ukraine to guard the grain exports to Germany and were alos stationed on the Finnish Russian border to keep the Bolsheviks out of Finland after the fighting had ceased on the western front and the Kaiser gone into exile.

I'm glad this book is being discussed. It's an excellent read and I'm also surprised that it isn't referenced by more authors on the subject. It's very professional but at the same time accessable and well-paced. Not dry at all. I purchased it two years ago (wasn't easy to get a hold of--I had to cough up quite a bit of money for a used copy from Amazon.com) as part of my research for a book I'm working on. I haven't read the whole thing, as I was mainly concerned with the Freikorps activity from 1919 to 1920.

The photographs are quite impressive as well. There is one rather disquieting photo depicting the officers who killed Rosa Luxenbourg and Karl Liebknecht, the day after the murders, relaxing amongst friends at a bar. They look very content and at ease. Disturbing when you read the actual details of what they were celebrating... :unsure:

Dikke - Paris 1919 by Barbara McMillian offered a good summary (though, nothing new) of the events surrounding the Versailles conference and the consequences in eastern Europe and the Middle East (there is less attention on Africa, although it is not ignored).

Andy

Add Klingman's 1919 to that ... both are thick, lots of pictures ... but I found very good to understand the immediate post war world...

I have Barbara McMillan's book but I have not read it yet. I do not have Klingman's 1919. Have you a full title or is that it?

Too many books.......too little time

Do any of these books cover the abdications in the various German states? Thanks!