Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

private thomas burns

Guest whitewaif

Guest whitewaif

Don't really know if anyone can help, but I was wondering if there are any photographs of the Manchester Pals 18th battallion anywhere. My uncle Tommy Burns died in France, and is buried in Aras cemetery. His regiment number is 44140 and he died April 23rd or 24th) 1917(the year is right) aged 21. He was born in Salford/Manchester, the son of William Henry and Mary Ann(Annie) Burns nee Hartley. but was brought up and educated by two ladies(names not known). Would his war medal(s) have gone to his parents or to his foster/adoptive family? Is there any way of finding out who his foster family were? Tommy could speak nine languages so would have been quite memorable, I would think. It would be wonderful if there were any photos. I think his brother James Burns may have been in the same regiment, but he was invalided out with an arm amputation. Tommy apparently lied about his age and was a year younger than he should have been to enlist. We owe a lot to men like him. God rest their brave souls. Really hope someone, somewhere can help. Thanks in anticipation.

God bless

Whitewaif

Welcome to the Forum.

Tommy's service number is not an early one - he probabyl enlisted in early 1916 and went overseas as one of the replacements for casualties incurred in the early days of the Battle of the Somme.

The best place to look for photographs will be the microfilmed copies of the Manchester Evening News and the Evening Chronicle. The y are held at Manchester's central library. You be looking for an obituary (which might be very brief) in the several weeks after he was killed.

John

Guest whitewaif

Hi John. Thanks for the welcome and the information. It's really good of you to take the time out to post it on here. And Gareth too. Thanx so much Gareth. You're both very kind. Might be worth a trip to the library as I'm not far from Manchester, living in Swinton.

God bless.

Mary(this is a great site)

Welcome to the Forum.

Tommy's service number is not an early one - he probabyl enlisted in early 1916 and went overseas as one of the replacements for casualties incurred in the early days of the Battle of the Somme.

The best place to look for photographs will be the microfilmed copies of the Manchester Evening News and the Evening Chronicle. The y are held at Manchester's central library. You be looking for an obituary (which might be very brief) in the several weeks after he was killed.

John

whitewaif,go to central library and check the manchester evening chronicle first,this paper tended to follow the movements of men from salford and districts,the manchester evening news followed the manchester pals,BUT both could have a picture,if you can wait till friday,i will have a look for you,bernard

For the commanding officer's description of the battles of the 23/24th April 1917 read 'Wilfrith Elstob VC DSO MC' ,Fleur de Lys Publishers 1998. By the 27th April the battalion numbered less than 100 all ranks.

Guest whitewaif
whitewaif,go to central library and check the manchester evening chronicle first,this paper tended to follow the movements of men from salford and districts,the manchester evening news followed the manchester pals,BUT both could have a picture,if you can wait till friday,i will have a look for you,bernard

Hi Bernard. Only just seen your message. Thanks a million for the offer of looking for me. I can wait till Friday. We've been searching for ages so a few more days won't make much difference. Ha Ha! Seriously, it is really good of you to offer to look for me and I am truly grateful. Thank you so much. You're an angel. Tommy Burns, my uncle died on 23rd April 1917.

God bless you Bernard.

Mary

Guest whitewaif
For the commanding officer's description of the battles of the 23/24th April 1917 read 'Wilfrith Elstob VC DSO MC' ,Fleur de Lys Publishers 1998. By the 27th April the battalion numbered less than 100 all ranks.

Hi Robert. Isn't it just so sad that all those lives were lost? I'm only now beginning to appreciate just how much of a sacrifice all these men and women made for our freedom although I am approaching 60 next year. This doesn't mean I have ever been disrepectful of their memory, just that with all the recent television coverage of the veterans of the wars it has brought it home to me just what these men and their families lost in gaining freedom for later generations. My thoughts and prayers are for all these men and women and their families, although they have passed from this life. I'm sure that most people in the course of time come to realise their sacrifice and I for one thank God that they lived.

God bless

Mary