Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Dr Isabel Hill

Brigantian

I am researching a soldier buried in a local cemetery. He died of wounds in November 1917, at Endell Street Military Hospital, London, an establishment staffed entirely by women, from chief surgeon to orderlies. His death was certified by Isabel Hill MB Ch.B, acting Chief Resident Officer.

I am looking for some background information on Dr Hill. Can anyone assist?

Regards

Mark

• 4 weeks later...

BJay

Thanks for the Medical Directory information – it takes me a little bit further.

Regards

Mark

Mark,

I am on to this for you. Please forgive a short reply as 'reply' isn't working for me properly at present and this is by way of a test!

A good book - if you can find a copy - telling the story of Endell Street is 'Women as Army Surgeons' by Flora Murray.

Best wishes

Eric

An article in the July 2006 Ancestors magazine mentions the hospital and quotes several research resources. The author is Elizabeth Crawford. Search feminist material as well as military/medical.

kind regards

Sue

Eric,

Thanks for the information, I haven’t previously come across Women as Army Surgeons – I will try to get hold of a copy. I would be most grateful if you can find out anything further.

Sue,

Thank you for letting me know about the July edition of Ancestors Magazine - I will check it out.

Regards

Mark

Mark

Not her life - but her death. The Times of Friday 5th August 1933:

On Aug 1st 1933, at 21a Globe Road E.1., Isabel Hill, M.B., Ch.B.Edin. Funeral Ilford Cemetery today (Friday) 3pm.

Also, when Thomson Gale had their free access month last April, within the IWMs 'Women, War and Society' collection, there was a great deal of information on Endell Street hospital, and women doctors 'at war' in general. Hopefully they will repeat it next year [what a wait!] but it can also be accessed at the IWM itself [not a lot of help for you!].

Sue

Mark,

I have read through Women as Army Surgeons - which I have been meaning to do so thanks for the stimulus! She isn't mentioned. I have also looked through my collection of contemporary books on Women in medicine. Ditto I'm afraid. Chief resident officer was not quite so senior as it sounds - about mid-rank. Probably think 'registrar' in terms of a modern hospital. I wonder why she was not in the Medical Register - given that she appears to have qualified in 1906, and what had she been doing meanwhile? How long had she been at Endell Street? Was she part of the original Women's Hospital Corps Paris Hospital at Claridge's Hotel which moved back? If she was one of the originals she had very likely been active in the Suffrage movement.

It may be worth searching the Medical Register serially from 1906 if you can find a complete set. It's a long time since I looked anyone up but I seem to recall there were separate sections for 'overseas' and later for service in the forces.

If she qualified as a young woman in 1906 that puts her birth in the early 1880's. Worth looking in the censuses perhaps, but Hill is a rather common name!

There might also be something in the archives of the Edinburgh Medical School.

Not so helpful as I'd hoped I'm afraid!

Eric

• 2 weeks later...

The register of deaths for September quarter of 1933 shows her age at death to be 48, giving her a year of birth of either 1884 or 1885.

Free BMD shows no "Isabel Hill" entries for 1884 and just one for 1885, this being in Bradford. But she may have been married, so this might not have been her birth name.

Sue, Eric and Stephen

Thanks for the information and advice – your help is much appreciated. Hopefully, in the fullness of time, more will come to light about Dr Hill.

Regards

Mark

• 1 month later...

Mark

I've come a bit late to this, I'm afraid. Edinburgh Medical School archives would be the best bet, but they are very busy and take a while to answer queries about early women drs in my experience. They should also have details of her school, and again the archives there might be helpful. Most early professional women reported their subsequent doings back to their schools and colleges.

I've done quite a bit of research on the WHC and Endell Street. A lot of new primary sources have come to light in the past few years. ES was an amazing place.

Jennyford

Jennyford

Welcome to the forum and thank you for bringing this thread back to life. I shall contact the Edinburgh Medical School archives and see what they have on Dr Hill.

Thanks again

Mark