Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Focus On Courage

stiletto_33853

A new book by Lieutenant-General Sir Christopher Wallace and Major R.D. Cassidy published by The Royal Green Jackets Museum Trust.

The year 2006 marks the 150th Anniversary of the V.C. To date there have been 1355 awards including 59 to members of the antecedant regiments of The Royal Green Jackets.

This book co-authored by two retired Green Jacket officers provides an authoritive record and account of the acts of bravery of the 59 Regimental recipients, including photographs and biographical information.

First impressions of the book is that it is well researched, only to be expected when two Green Jacket officers tackle such a subject for the museum trust with the wealth of material available to them from the museum.

Very nicely laid out, all in all given my interests a must.

Andy

Got it; worth every penny. Buy quickly. I have it on good authority (one of the authors) that over half the print run has already been sold.

If you're a Greenjacket or a VC aficionado, it's a 'must have'.

Definetely worth every penny having spent more time going through it.

Pictures and biographies of all the holders, a must a staffs says.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

What a quality book, well worth £20.

Well done the RGJ Museum!!!!

I think it is the way forward and other museums will produce their own editions in the future.

Lyndon.

I think it is the way forward and other museums will produce their own editions in the future.

Lyndon.

Sadly, I think the presence of such a high-quality product at such an accessible cost is reflective of the RGJ's comparative wealth and clout to draw in sponsors. I bet the cover price is quite significantly subsidised. That's not a criticism, or saying it's a bad thing - far from it - but I bet smaller regiments (even if they are merged now) like the Queen's Lancashire Regiment would struggle to produce comparative quality works at such a price.

Sadly, I think the presence of such a high-quality product at such an accessible cost is reflective of the RGJ's comparative wealth and clout to draw in sponsors. I bet the cover price is quite significantly subsidised. That's not a criticism, or saying it's a bad thing - far from it - but I bet smaller regiments (even if they are merged now) like the Queen's Lancashire Regiment would struggle to produce comparative quality works at such a price.

That's a valid point Staffs.

Lyndon.