Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

F/Lt. Melville Cornelius Wood,RNAS

Guest kinkaid45

Guest kinkaid45

I am researching the exploits of my grandfather F/Lt. Melville Wood who joined the RNAS sometime in 1914 and was killed in the Mediterranean in Oct. 1917 while test-piloting a Sikosrsky Float Plane. Can I get the co-ordinates (long/lat) of his burial site at sea?Any information would be a useful start.

Short Admiralty 184 Type tractor biplane seaplane Ser.No. 8018: - HMS EMPRESS 8/10/1917; 9/10/17 Remaining bombs exploded in heavy landing off Famagusta (Cyprus) after take-off to attack Adana, Turkey, when dropped some bombs and towed back. Flight Lieutenant MC Wood killed.

Presumably he was buried off Cyprus. Fleet Air Arm Museum may have more detail. Log of HMS EMPRESS (if it still exists in TNA) may detail position of burial at sea. Hope this helps.

Guest kinkaid45
Short Admiralty 184 Type tractor biplane seaplane Ser.No. 8018: - HMS EMPRESS 8/10/1917; 9/10/17 Remaining bombs exploded in heavy landing off Famagusta (Cyprus) after take-off to attack Adana, Turkey, when dropped some bombs and towed back. Flight Lieutenant MC Wood killed.

Presumably he was buried off Cyprus. Fleet Air Arm Museum may have more detail. Log of HMS EMPRESS (if it still exists in TNA) may detail position of burial at sea. Hope this helps.

Thanks very much for this information.That is more information than the Family ever had on him. His widow (my grandmother-18 years old at the time)was told that the engine blew up upon landing. I think she was under 18 as they had living quarters above a pub and she was not allowed to go in. She recalls having to stay up stairs while Mel was downstairs singing all the pub songs he knew.This was Margate -on-Sea.

How do I go about getting his service record or log book because he dumped into the English Channel and floated for 20 hours before pickupone time.

Also his brother Lionel Wood was sent with Collishaw to Russia RFC or RNAS. How do I locate info on him?

Thanks again

The only other info that I have on Melville Wood is when he was based at Nore Flight, Westgate, in 1916. Sopwith modified Schneider tractor biplane seaplane Ser. No. 3766:- Flight Sub lieutenant MC Wood carried out hostile aircraft patrols on 9/7/1916 and twice on 23/10/1916.

I do not know if his flying log is there but to access his RNAS records at the Fleet Air Arm Museum please call Mrs Jan Keohane (Assistant Curator) on 01935 842628. Be prepared for a delay in replying because builders are carrying out essential work in the archive area at the moment. Please give as many details as possible on the brothers MC and L Wood (not sure if the latter was RNAS). Good luck!

The only other info that I have on Melville Wood is when he was based at Nore Flight, Westgate, in 1916. Sopwith modified Schneider tractor biplane seaplane Ser. No. 3766:- Flight Sub lieutenant MC Wood carried out hostile aircraft patrols on 9/7/1916 and twice on 23/10/1916.

I do not know if his flying log is there but to access his RNAS records at the Fleet Air Arm Museum please call Mrs Jan Keohane (Assistant Curator) on 01935 842628. Be prepared for a delay in replying because builders are carrying out essential work in the archive area at the moment. Please give as many details as possible on the brothers MC and L Wood (not sure if the latter was RNAS). Good luck!

Hi!

With regard to Lionel Wood, I assume that his full name was Lionel Elmer, who also came from Winnipeg. In which case he was RNAS. Originally serving with the 19th Canadian Reserve Battalion Off No 910120 before entering the RNAS as a Probationary Flying Officer on 21st July 1917, being promoted to Flight Sub Lieutenant on 23rd January 1918. He served with 219 Squadron at Manston in 1918. He is briefly mentioned in S.F.Wise "Canadian Airmen and the First World War" page 224 and in Flight magazine of 9th August 1917.

Hope this helps

Regards Duncan

If Lionel Wood served with Major Raymond Collishaw in South Russia in 1919, then he would have been in No 47 Sqn RAF before it became Nos 11, 12 and 13 Sqns, Russian 7th Air Division on 20 October 1919. In essence, A Flight of No 47 Sqn was equipped with DH 9as, B Flight flew Camels, C Flight operated DH 9s, and the detached Z Flight had RE 8s.

I can't see his name in Over the Balkans and South Russia, H A Jones' history of No 47 Sqn, but not all officers are listed.

Gareth

RNAS officers records are at Kew in ADM 273, there is a card index in the microfilm reading room.

RAF Officers records, who had left the service by the end of 1919 are in AIR 76.