Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The First Day on the Somme

Wargrave lass

That's my real fear in this book. I get so very emotional about this stuff ... July 1 is hard as it is ... I know it's silly, but that's why I've never read it ...

Ah, come on, you Yanks are just softees really. Let yourself go. Relax. Try to read from it to a group!! That's a challenge. Great writing. What a shame he didn't continue the motion for the duration. But that might have led to emotional overload.

Agree, The Kaiser's Battle is just as good, if not better.

And if you realyy want to get wound up, Sir Cliff, read his book on Arnhem. Wow!!

Chris

No, it was not the famous red bus. About 50 persons of the Dutch WFA were present in an excellent tour by Martin Middlebrook. It was highly appreciated by everyone.

And I left my gorgeous white Ford Thunderbird in the garage.

In another message. I have not read his book about Arnhem but I'll try to put my hand on it.

Best regards,

Sir Cliff

Riveting I could not put it down once I started to read it about five years ago and have read it again since two or three times. Martin's books are all the same a great author.

TOM

No, it was not the famous red bus. About 50 persons of the Dutch WFA were present in an excellent tour by Martin Middlebrook. It was highly appreciated by everyone.

And I left my gorgeous white Ford Thunderbird in the garage.

In another message. I have not read his book about Arnhem but I'll try to put my hand on it.

Best regards,

Sir Cliff

What type tbird Cliff? I have a fire engine red 91 supercharged 5 speed stick shift bought new with 113000 miles/

• 3 weeks later...

This is one of the best books I have personally ever read and it should definitely be read in one sitting if you can I bought a second hand copy (most of my books are from boot sales and auctions) comparable only in my opinion with anything of lyn macdonald's my readings may be limited though. Might need to try a bookshop:) definitely if you are interested in the subject then read "The First day on the Somme" I ahve found that "Tommy" by richard Holmes is informative and insightful on the subject and is probably a good lead up to reading "the Somme" I wish I had read them in that order but never mind as it all comes together

Thanks everyone, because of this thread I have started reading this again, I had forgotten what a great book it was.

Tim.