Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pals on the Somme 1916

mmm45

Hi

Has anyone got a review of the above titled book by Roni Wilkinson? I have an interest in the 16th and 18th West Yorks Bradford Pals and just wondered if there is much info that isnt in the two Bradford Pals books published already.

Thanks

Ady

Not certain that its actually hit the shops as yet?

Bernard

Yes it is out now Bernard - I got my copies the day before yesterday and have been posting them out today.

Ady - sorry, but I haven't really had time to look at it in any detail, so can't answer your question.

Tom

My understamding is that it will not feature new research but will synthesise the works of the several Pals Battalion authors (including me). So if you want an overview of what the several Pals Battalions did this could be useful. But I've not seen it yet!

Bernard

• 1 month later...

I had this on order for some time and was looking forward to reading it However, a decent read was ruined by some of the worst proof-reading that I have ever come across. I feel sorry for the author if the proof-reading was beyond his control. If it wasn't, then I can but assume that deadlines led to sloppy practice.

What a shame!

Ken

Oh dear...nothing to do with me except for permission to quote from my book. Roni is a really nice guy...I've not seen it.

Bernard

Oh dear...nothing to do with me except for permission to quote from my book. Roni is a really nice guy...I've not seen it.

Bernard

Don't get me wrong, the content was really good but the errors were sadly distracting. I know the problems of proof-reading - my first book still had errors after endless reads-through!

Ken

Ken - hear, hear! My wife and I spent several hours plodding through the text but the odd error still crept in - but I'm not telling anyone where!

Bernard