Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMS Cornwallis - 3d pic?

campaign

post-10810-1152198573.jpg

Hi - I picked up this photo of HMS Cornwallis at a market - the seller said it was meant to be presented in an old style viewer to give a 3D impression - actual size is roughly 7 x 3.75 inches and on stiff card - does anyone know anything about these - e.g., are they worth keeping: the guy has about 30 others showing pics of Seaforths, trenches, Galipolli, Ypres, bridges being blown etc., and what sort of value? POINT 2: Was Cornwallis under Commander Courage? Thanks Lyn

I think the device was called a stereoscope. They sound worth keeping to me, but have no idea of value.

Cornwallis was a battleship launched in 1901 and was torpedoed in 1917. She would have been under the command of a Captain RN (equivalent to an army colonel).

Value?

Having never seen any WW1 stereo pairs, I'd say whatever you are happy to pay - I'd jump at the chance!

Adrian

Interesting picture - I've often noted the angled 'fishbone' structures of what I assumed were stowed torpedo net booms along the sides of WW1 warships, but in this photo it looks as if the device is deployed, presumably against shore-launched fish. Can't recall having seen that before.

Regards,

MikB

Hi all,

the photo shows the Cornwallis engaged in bombarding Turkish positions on the Gallipoli Peninsula, I think I have seen the same or similar shot elsewhere. Given that the torpedo booms are deployed the shot was probably taken after the arrival of German subs in the region in late May. Before that, most of the fleet swanned around without too many anti-sub precautions (not that the sub netting helped the Majestic or Triumph, both sunk by U21 in late May off Helles and ANZAC respectively).

At the landing at Cape Helles, the Cornwallis supported the South Wales Borderers in their landing at S Beach (Morto Bay). At the time, the ship was commanded by Captain Alexander Davidson RN. Davidson was later censured for keeping the Cornwallis too long of S Beach, as he had orders to sail to V Beach to add to the supporting fire there.

Hope this is of some use.

Cheers

Bill

Hi all,

the photo shows the Cornwallis engaged in bombarding Turkish positions on the Gallipoli Peninsula, ...........

Hi - thanks so much for this information, I had earlier been advised (Bob H) about the Cornwallis being the last to leave the area after evacuating Suvla Bay. (Why was the Captain in trouble?) Had earlier been with Vengeance, Albion and Triumph, the last named having returned home with boiler defects in July 1915 after attack by submarine 25 May. On re-reading my family's notes I see that my grandfather served on both the Vengeance and Cornwallis, so I am curious as to the possibility of him actually being on Cornwallis when this pic was taken - and - Vengeance being sunk earlier, I assume he was transferred earlier?? Sorry I don't know his rank, details etc etc., haven't traced his medals yet but am told they were issued. Notes also state he served under Comm. Courage hence my query to tie this up. Thanks again. Lyn

Hi Lyn,

yes, I'd forgotten that the Cornwallis was one of the last of HM Ships to leave the scene after covering the evacuation on December 19-20, she also fired on stores left on the beaches to try and destroy them after the last of the British troops departed.

The ship's captain got into strife for not bringing the Cornwallis around to V Beach after supporting the landing at nearby S Beach. Captain Davidson had agreed with the commander of the South Wales Borderers that he would supply a beach party of sailors from the ship to assist with the landing to supervise bringing stores ashore, freeing up the troops to get on with the fighting. The S Beach landing was delayed by strong currents coming down the Dardanelles and then Davidson was reluctant to sail off with the beach party still ashore. As such, the Cornwallis was late getting to V Beach, hence the rocket given to Davidson.

Sadly for the Triumph, she did not sail home with boiler defects in July 1915 after attack by submarine 25 May, she went to the bottom after the U21's attack. She lies in about 72 metres of water of Gabatepe. If the Vengence was lost during the war, it wasn't in the Gallipoli Campaign. The British battleships lost there were Ocean, Irresistable, Goliath, Triumph and Majestic.

Cheers

Bill

Hi Lyn,

yes, I'd forgotten that the Cornwallis was one of the last of HM Ships to leave the scene after covering the evacuation on December 19-20, she also fired on stores left on the beaches to try and destroy them after the last of the British troops departed.

The ship's captain got into strife for not bringing the Cornwallis around to V Beach after supporting the landing at nearby S Beach. Captain Davidson had agreed with the commander of the South Wales Borderers that he would supply a beach party of sailors from the ship to assist with the landing to supervise bringing stores ashore, freeing up the troops to get on with the fighting. The S Beach landing was delayed by strong currents coming down the Dardanelles and then Davidson was reluctant to sail off with the beach party still ashore. As such, the Cornwallis was late getting to V Beach, hence the rocket given to Davidson.

Sadly for the Triumph, she did not sail home with boiler defects in July 1915 after attack by submarine 25 May, she went to the bottom after the U21's attack. She lies in about 72 metres of water of Gabatepe. If the Vengence was lost during the war, it wasn't in the Gallipoli Campaign. The British battleships lost there were Ocean, Irresistable, Goliath, Triumph and Majestic.

Cheers

Bill

Bill - apologies, did I say last - I meant first mentioned as in the Vengeance. Just been looking at Bob's link from Feb: www.battleships-cruisers.co.uk, the duncan class and the canopus class (hope I've got those right) and see that Cornwallis was later sunk off Malta. thanks again, Lyn

" my grandfather ... Sorry I don't know his rank, details etc etc., haven't traced his medals yet but am told they were issued."

You can look for his service register online For his WW1 medals you'll have to look for offline.

" my grandfather ... Sorry I don't know his rank, details etc etc., haven't traced his medals yet but am told they were issued."

You can look for his service register online For his WW1 medals you'll have to look for offline.

Hi - thanks for that - looked through family stuff again - now see that grandad was born in 1867 so not at all sure what he was doing on Cornwallis - a cursory look at your link reveals no-one his name - so have you any other suggestions/ideas re tracing naval records when one has such little to go on?? Lyn