Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Britains Last Tommies

delboy

Does anybody know if the TV series of Britains Last Tommies is out on DVD? also last year CH4 had a reasonable 2hr long docu-drama about the somme is that on DVD? The reason is I would like to own a copy of them, so if you know where i can get them please let me know.

Thx Del

Hi Del,

Don't think that this is out on DVD yet. If I were you I would contact Harvey Lilley (Director/Producer) at Quickfire Media as he made the programmes. He may be able to send you a copy for a fee.

Good luck!

• 1 month later...

I've also been trying to find out whether C4 have any plans to release 'The Somme' on DVD. It was very well done and deserves to be released. The BBC have already released their docu-drama on the Somme! Anyone have any news or leads?

I have also posted elsewhere on this forum that I am seeking anyone who can help me to obtain copies of the following documentaries:

1. 'A Game of Ghosts'. Part of the 'Everyman' series shown on the BBC in 1991. It told the tale of four survivors of the Somme. One was Mr Donald Hodge, another Mr Alf Razzel. The names of the other two escape me.

2. 'Days that Shook the World: The Christmas Truce'. First shown, I believe, by the BBC in December 2004.

Any help much appreciated!

Gliddon's 'Legacy of the Somme' page 176 has these details;

'An Everyman Special: a game of ghosts

Producer: David Wilcock

Director: Stephen Walker

First broadcast: BBC TV, 1st July 1991, 50 min. After 75 years, four men who survived the Battle of the Somme talk about their experiences, feelings and continued anguish, including nightmares and fellings of guilt at surviving when comrades died.

'A Day that shook the World: 1st July 1916'

This five-minute film was produced in 1992 by BBC Enterprise Library Sales.

And for Christmas Truce film see here: http://www.khakidevil.co.uk/Days%20that%20...he%20World.html