Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Should one possess a headstone?

paul guthrie

I have mentioned this man before, he was a Lexington, Kentucky man who died in Montreal in 1921 and has a CWGC stone here. It's in terrible shape and will be replaced, probably this week. A friend in the monument business will do the work for CWGC Ottawa. All of this is being done because I informed them etc. I suppose I could get my friend to give the old one to me but not sure I should. He died single and as far as I know childless, no known family.

Give me your frank opinion.

Also, I have an email with picture of the old one and can get one of new one. If I send it to one of you can you post it in a thread I would put here? Thanks. No use in telling me how to do it!

Paul, unless there is official CWGC policy about disposal of old headstones, I think you should obtain it, and thus in the future if any relatives appear, at least you could hand it over to them. It would be a shame to have it disposed of, and then a few years later some long-lost great, great somebody gets in contact.

After all, it is thanks to your efforts that this man is being commemorated properly.

Peter (in Ottawa still)

I think Terry will be able to answer that. A relative could be identified if the paper runs a story. They could sure have it as far as I am concerned and they will be able to view the new one in place.

It's interesting how the old one got so bad, when they last inspected in 1991 they saw inscription at bottom was covered so hired someone local to correct that. Well they excavated nearly a foot of the base! It really looks bad + it's just old.

Paul

Personally, I would have no moral qualms about possessing an old headstone that has been replaced with a new one.

However, I would seek permission from CWGC. It is their property and technically you (or the mason) could be charged with theft! As far as I know there is no home for retired headstones and they are generally broken up.

On another subject....

Just read your piece in WFA Bulletin about Farley and Wade. A satisfactory outcome!

Yes Terry with your help and especially Hedley's as well as a good man at CWGC we did get a good outcome, amazing a man had two headstones for fifty years while another had none!

I have emailed CWGC Ottawa about the old headstone and will keep or have destroyed as they say and will post answer here.