Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Where Anzacs Sleep

Andrew P

Just picked up this little gem which has been published this year by Ron Austin. Only 300 copies have been printed of this well presented book.

Jack Duffy was a soldier in the 8th Bn AIF who fought at Gallipoli and later with the 57th Battalion in France. During his time on Gallipoli he took many shots with his camera and these formed the basis of a slide show that Duffy took around Victoria post WW1 which showed the battlefield and the graves of the Anzacs.

The majority of photos are from Gallipoli of soldiers and graves, with a few from Egypt and only a couple from France, where presumably Duffy curtailed his photo taking due to the restrictions placed on cameras in that theatre of operations.

http://www.slouch-hat.com.au

post-43-1151984947.jpg

Andrew - I'm glad I got my copy before you started advertising it. Is Ron giving you a discount? :D

It's great to see so many original graves - and fascinating to study the way some of them have been decorated. I wondered about the quality of the photos with the slides being so scratched - but they've come up pretty well - and actually add to the character.

It's sure to be a collector's item.

Cheers, Frev.

Andrew - I'm glad I got my copy before you started advertising it. Is Ron giving you a discount? :D

It's great to see so many original graves - and fascinating to study the way some of them have been decorated. I wondered about the quality of the photos with the slides being so scratched - but they've come up pretty well - and actually add to the character.

It's sure to be a collector's item.

Cheers, Frev.

Unfortunately not :D I don't actually know Ron, I got my copy from a book seller in WA.