Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

DH2 WIP - continued...

Russell Smith

Got another perspective drawing finished for the DH2 project. Here it is by itsself and how it will look to the previous DH2 I posted a few weeks ago.

DH2s are a pain in the rear to do perspective drawings for because of all the points you have to plot out, but I think this is going to be a really good piece in the end.

the setting will be Vert Galand. the angle will be similar to that in the famous photo of the 32Sq DH2s lined up with the buildings in the background. someone from the Aerodrome Forum sent me some great color photos of the buildings at VG. I'll draw those in next, then come the figures.

Russ

post-11267-1151957807.jpg

post-11267-1151957837.jpg

• 2 months later...

Thought it might be time to post another update on my DH2/Vert Galand project.

I've gotten a lot of work done on it in the past week. Most of the figures are done, with the exception of the pilot and the guy in the right foreground (thats a photo of me there for the time being).

The ground and sky are from a photo of a field that i took several months ago - slightly modified to suit this compostion.

I shaded in the buildings in the background last night. All of the buildings are positioned according to the famous photo showing the DH2s of 32 Sq lined up at Vert Galand. I repositioned some of the elements in the background to correct for the difference in perspective from the high viewpoint of the photo to the much lower viewpoint of this piece. i've still got a few more figures to finish and a couple of small changes to make to the composition as you see it here, but its coming along...

Russ

post-11267-1158253181.jpg

Russ,

quote: with the exception of the ....guy in the right foreground (thats a photo of me there for the time being).

Why not leave him/you there? Shades of Alfred Hitchcock

Great picture and thanks for sharing

Michael

Russell

From one artist to another; that is simply outstanding. Your studies are of a superb standard and your work in progress shot is just amazing.

Thanks for sharing your talent.

Andy

P.S I think you should leave yourself in also!

Brilliant, there is a real sense of movement. It takes genuine talent to produce images like that.

Jon :)

From yet another artist, this forum is full of artists of one sort or another, thinking of those who like a pint or two, great work.

Annette