Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A Storm in Flanders

AndyHollinger

History by the guy who gave you Forrest Gump.

His introduction to the start of WWI is supurbe. I will use it in my classes from here on in ... great stuff.

I am not even through the first 3 chapters, but so far it is entertainingly written, doesn't speak down to the audience and quotes first rate historians for his pronouncements.

Anyone else read this?

I have finished it ... it is WWI according to Forrest Gump. A good book for someone who might be interested in Ieper but not interested in anything too deep. It is well-written, covers the high points with lots of little tid-bits about WWI and essentially factual. It is a box of chocolates ... but not serious history.

Actually Andy I never replied to this post originally because I wanted to see what others though. As it turns out my opinion is much like yours. Its a good high level book, but he keeps wandering off into WWII. I guess thats an obvious, or more understood reference point for his audience.

Andy

• 3 months later...
Anyone else read this book?

Is it worth £1.99?

Has it anythink new to say?

A

Yep.I read it last year sometime. Unlike some books (Mud Blood and Poppycock for Example), I have not dumped it, so it can't be bad. Makes a change from the heavy books I normally read. My 9year old Granddaughter also enjoyed it but she has got a reading age of 14 and likes visiting WW1 cemeteries with Gramps.

Stevem