Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte Samuel Coles - Welsh and Cheshire Regiments?

Mike Watkins

Hello

Please can you help with the interpretation of my wife's great grandfather's MIC? From my (very) limited understanding it looks as though he served in 2 regiments - the Welsh and Cheshire - from 31st August 1915 until his discharge on 2nd January 1916. Was it usual to serve in 2 regiments over such a short time and is there any any information about his postings that can be obtained from the service numbers?

My wife understands that he was gassed but is this confirmed in the discharge codes? Was he then posted to the 349th Provisional Company, Royal Defence Corps as unfit for front line service?

Can someone also explain the medal details, where he served and the meaning of List TP/2163?

Apologies for the questions but as you can probably tell I'm new to all this so any information would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Mike

Coles_MIC.doc

The List reference is to the Silver War Badge Medal roll books at the National Archives at Kew and will probably have a little bit more information on it.

However,

I believe the discharge date is actually 1918 not 1916 (the 6 in the AO 265 is very different).

He would have served first (overseas) in the Welsh Regiment then in the Cheshires and then transferred to the Defence Corps after his gassing, exactly as you thought.

The "S" in the top right box means sickness, and would have included Gassing.

It's difficult to glean much from those number apart from to say they were probably for 1916 onwards allocation. He possibly even served in the UK with a different battalion as a lot of 4xxxx and 5xxxx numbers were allocated to transfers from other Regiments, though I don't know for those two Regiments.

You will need to reference the codes in the stamped on box (Victory Medal and British War Medal entitlement and no Star Medal means he served overseas from a date after 1-1-1916) to the Medal rolls at Kew to discover his units whilst overseas.

Steve.

Steve and John

Many thanks for your responses which have opened an unknown chapter in my wife's family history. I'm arranging a trip to Kew later this year so I hope I can find out more information then

Regards

Mike