Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lochnagar Memorial Service

barrynee

Had the honour of being present at Lochnagar on Saturday for a beautiful service.

I'm not sure if anyone else has commented on this - but right in the middle of the service there was a fly-past by numerous large flocks of birds (about 50-60 birds in each flock) - 6 or 7 waves in all at a height of 15 feet.

Were they released as part of the ceremony does anyone know?

I'm not one for giddyness normally, but that had a supernatural feel to it.

Barry

I too felt it was a bit strange - I wonder if anyone else feels the same

Chris

that was one thing i felt . But did anyone hear the rifle fire?

We camped in no-mans land overnight - just off the road between becourt and la boiselle about 200 yards from the crater - on ground that was attacked over in the morning of 1st July. There was an intermittent noise that sounded like the discharge of an artillery gun (a distant thump)- but it was actually a device that farmers use to keep birds off their crops (I live in the country and hear them all the time)

as for the flocks of birds - I'm glad I'm not on my own on that one Chris. Wonder if anyone counted the number of 'waves'?

did anybody get any photos of the ceremonie we have no photos of us at the crater

did anybody get any photos of the ceremonie we have no photos of us at the crater

I have 3 or 4 if this helps PM me your email & I will send them to you

Chris

• 4 weeks later...

I have been to the Somme too. I made a dvd of the Pals in Maricourt. I also recorded the Lochnahar ceremony and a part of the Thiepval ceremony.

It is 1 hour video made by myself. So it is not professonal quality.

You can download it on the usenet under the name Somme06 in alt binaries boneless. If you do not know how the usenet works I will send you a copy by mail. I have to send it to you from Amsterdam. If you do not like it you do not have to pay it ! I am planning to send about 10 ? copys. It is a hobby but i cannot burn 3000 dvd's

my email adress is janentonnystreppel@wanadoo.nl