Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sapper

Guest decca

In my local churchyard in Wolstanton, Newcastle , Staffordshire is a military headstone for 337545 Sapper W Pratt - died 6th July 1918, age 28. As an ex sapper I am intrigued and would like to find out as much as I can about him. Did he die in action or of his wounds later? How do I go about researching Spr Pratt?

Thanks for any help or advice guys !

Decca.

Decca

In SDGW-William Pratt-Corps of Royal Engineers

Inland Water Transport

Died-Home.

John

Decca

I'm am ex-sapper myself. Your quickest route is to get a copy of his death certificate, that shoud give you the cause and place of death. A search of the internet will tell you how to go about this. You will find plenty of information on the mother site about how to go about finding his service record if it survives. If you have any difficulties, please e mail me via the forum.

Terry Reeves

• 2 weeks later...
Decca

In SDGW-William Pratt-Corps of Royal Engineers

Inland Water Transport

Died-Home.

John

Thanks for the info, I have managed to find out a little more, I have his home address, and I'd found out that he was inland waterways - What was that - Any one know? Does this mean he was injured in the uk ??? I assumed he died from injuries received somewhere - is it possible to find out this information ?

Thanks for your help guys !

Decca.