Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Naval Ratings Medal Entitlement

Donny Anderson

Hi Folks,

Can someone advise where I can find a naval rating's full medal entitlement. I have a couple of naval victory medals and have downloaded their service records but would like to find which other medals they were entitled to.

Thanks in advance,

Donny

The full entilement will be on the medal roll at Kew (offline) in ADM 171, these are in alphabetical order. For WW1 medals browse from ADM 171/94 in the catalogue for the reference. As a rule of thumb if he was on an active ship (not a shore base, except Victory II which was used for the RND) before 1/1/16 he got the 1914/15 Star. There is a seperate 11914 Star roll in ADM 171/139, but the star is also recorded on the main medal roll.

For earlier medals (and post war medals), you will have to check Gordon's British Battles an Medals' to see whether the ship qualified and then look in the medal rolls in ADM 171 (post war rolls haven't been released yet).

If he got a Long Service Good Conduct Medal there should be a comment 'traced med' or 'traced medal' and a date.

Opps I forget there are 2 alphabetical rolls for the SWB and one in number order browse from ADM 171/175.

Can anyone help with the remarks at the bottom of this service record. Does it mean that he was on the way to promotion for Petty Officer on 21/12/14 but not actually promoted until 10/04/16, his first appointment as PO was 01/12/16 or am I way off the mark. Anyone any ideas as to the rest of the remarks.

See attachment..... I hope.

Thanks in advance,

Donny.