Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Frenchman's farm near Ypres

Can anyone shed any light onto my hunt for the place of death of my Great great uncle Frank (BEF Dorsets 5th Division KIA 11th Feb 1915). I found his grave in the Wulverghem-Lindenhoek military cemetary but it is reported that he was killed in frenchman's farm and buried there first. I asked some locals but they were unaware (it is pretty obviously a British Army term) of its whereabouts. I have been sitting on his fascinating story for a couple of years (letters from the front found unread in an attic) and I chanced upon this site - it is excellent - keep up the good work. Any other information would be gladly received.

Jon,

During the war, and even more after the war the CWGC concentrated graves into the cemetaries that exist now. Maybe your great-great uncle was initially buried at Frenchman's farm and later re-interred where he now rests. You may want to try to get a paper copy of the Cemetary Register these have some useful information on how it was set up etc.

Another avenue might be the battalion war diary, by checking the entry for the day he was killed, it might shed some light on location.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help,

Jim

I'm sure that when your get Frank's story in order we all on the forum would love to see it.

Jon,

Further to Jim's post I assume that your Great Uncle was L/Cpl 9085 Alexander Frank Crawshaw, 1st Bn, Dorsetshire Regiment who was KIA Thursday 11/02/1915.

Born: Brixton, Surrey

Enlisted: Dorchester, Dorset

Residence: Brixton Surrey

According to CWGC his name is recorded on Frenchman's Farm Cemetery Memorial 4 in Wulverghem-Lindenhoek Road Military Cemetery. This would indicate that this is one of the special memorials to two casualties believed to be buried in the cemetery and to seven others buried elsewhere whose graves were destroyed in the fighting of 1917-1918. I am sure that some other forum members can verify this fact.

I believe that Frenchman's Farm is shown on IWM trench map 28SW2-5a Wytschaete (01/04/17) and is located off Ramsey's Hill on Spud Road.

I can send you a scan of the map if you would like.

Regards

Marc

Thanks very much for your replies. I cannot believe how quickly you have answered my question. This is the friendliest forum I have ever been on!

Jim, I have been meaning to go to the PRO and get all this information (esp as I work in Kew!!) but time has not been on my side this year. Hopefully this will kick start my research again. Thanks for your interest. I am planning a website with the letters and photos of him. I am going out to New Zealand in March to get a load of the photos from my Great Uncle Geoff who has all the originals.

Marc, you assumption is correct. I have transcripts of letters to his sister from 13-6-14 to 23-1-15 and they make fascinating reading with an amazing brixton dialect! I would love a copy of the trench map if you don't mind. I am going out again in February to lay some flowers on his grave/memorial there so it would be extremely useful. Thanks in advance.

Merry Christmas

Jon

Wulvergem Lindenhoek road Military Cemetery was begun in december 1914 and in use until June 1917. It was reopened in 1918 after the German attack. It was in his first period mainly used by the 5th Division netx to their Dressing Station and was first known as Wulvergem Dressing Station Cemetery. Concentrated in this cem are several smaller cemeteries of this region amongst them Frenchman's Farm Wulvergem which contained 29 british soldiers. Frenchman's farm was situated about 1 mile north of the village of Wulvergem.

Jacky

Jon,

A scan of the map is winging its way to you.

Regards & Merry Christmas

Marc

• 1 year later...

Jon,

Browsing through old entries I came across this one, started by yourself sometime ago. I was just wondering whether your travels brought any success with regard to photos and letters, and whether you've managed to get your website up and running?

Regards

Steve Potter