Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

staff nurse hospital ship

j.r.f

please can anybody help me ?

As part of my research into the war casualties of Bristol in ww1 I have come across "MACKINNON MISS M STAFF NURSE HOSPITAL SHIP.This is all the information that i have.

CHEERS.

JOHN :D

PALS

HOW THICK CAN I GET.THE ANSWER IS,IN MY CASE,VERY. Rule number one if you are looking for people is to spell their names properly.IF the name is correctly spelt then,suprise suprise, one ,often gets an answer. I have now got answers from both CWGC and SDGW.Sadly she was drowned on 26/02/1918.She was the daughter of JOHN and FLORA MACINNON of AQRISAIG, INVERNESS-SHIRE.Commemorated HOLLYBROOK MEMORIAL,SOUTHAMPTON. This is the sum total of my knowledge about this 31 year old. Please does anybody know any more, or can point me in the right direction so tht I can find out for myself.

CHEERS

JOHN :wub::wub:

Surname MACKINNON

Firstname Mary

Service Number

Date Death

Decoration

Place of birth

Other

SNWM roll WOMEN'S SERVICES.

Rank Unknown

Theatre of death Unknown

Arisaig is a beautiful place.

Aye

Malcolm

John

Mary Mackinnon was a Staff Nurse on the Glenart Castle when it was torpedoed in the Bristol Channel on 26 February 1918, while en route to Le Havre to take on Portuguese casualties, with the loss of 162 crew and medical staff. A Google search will bring up loads of information.

She has a file at the National Archives - WO399/13088, but the file might not add a great deal more to her story.

Sue

Her name is on the Bristol Roll of Honour but for the life of me I cannot find a connection with that city. I can only assume that she worked there as a nurse before being called up but it is a long way from her home in Arisaig, Inverness-shire.

JIM

This vague connection occurs often.The only thing that I can think of, at this stage, is that the ship had sailed from Bristol.

CHEERS.

JOHN.

This vague connection occurs often.The only thing that I can think of, at this stage, is that the ship had sailed from Bristol.

Or as a member of the Territorial Force Nursing Service, her attachment may have been to No.2 Southern General Hospital, Bristol. Many of the women were part of TF Hospitals not connected to their home area - often the area they trained as nurses, or where they worked afterwards.

Sue

Sue

I have for several months been helping a film company who are making a documentary/drama on Glenart Castle as part of a series on wrecks of both wars. They have dived the wreck and there are some incredible underwater shots of her. The filming is just about finished and the film is due for release in Canada and Germany this year and UK next year.

Pete

Pete

That sounds wonderful - I shall look forward to it - just a pity we have to wait longer than everyone else. Do you know what the subjects of the other programmes will be?

Sue

Sue

As far a I can remember Canadian Corvett fromWW2 and a German Submarine.

Pete