Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

20th (Light) Division

Barry S

Hi rflory,

Just a quick question, I see you have the History of the 20th Divisional Artillery, I have read this, I actually got it through inter-library loan. It was a fascinating read, I at first thought that it had been defaced because there were notes in the margins, I then realised after trying to read some of the notes that they were in fact made by the books original owner who had given it to the Library Service. He was one of the Officers listed in the book and had written comments about other happenings relative to a particular time frame.

Anyway my question, do you or any of the forum members know if the "History of the 20th (Light) Division" by Capt V. Inglefield which covers the whole Division infantry regiments and all actually mentions the Divisional Artillery? I looked it up in The Naval and Military Press but it’s not mentioned.

Does "Light Division" mean without Artillery?

Thanks

Barry

Great granddad, Gnr. Alexander Cousins M.S.M. "D" Battery 92nd Brigade R.F.A.

Barry

The history does reference the divisional artillery and the DAC but I don't think it goes into a lot of detail. I have the text scanned into my pc so if you are looking for a specific date or action, send me a PM and I'll have a look.

The 'Light' refers to Light Infantry. This division (like the 14th) was formed from Rifle and Light Infantry regiments.

Paul

Thanks Paul,

I'll have a double check but I’m sure it was around the 6-6-1918 my great grandfather was gassed, so I was looking for info a couple of day before and after that date, just to see where they were and what they were up to.

I may well get a copy and read the complete history, the 50th divisional history has approx 2-3 pages at the end of each chapter which tells you what the artillery was doing relative to each battle.

Thanks for the pointer on “Light”, I read the Forum but don’t post that often may well have posted incorrectly my apologies.

Many thanks

Barry

OK Barry, no problem, and thanks for your PM. I'll have a look later on for you and send to your e-mail address..

Best wishes

Paul